Strange Things A'gwarn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some strange things are happening in my 60g tropical. Some of my fish have started dying recently, i bought 5 danios and 2 guppies 1M 1F the other day. Within 24 hours the female guppy had died, i put this down to stress from being moved. However today one of my Rams has died found it floating around this morning, with the other ones looking rather sick aswell. Then today we also noticed a neon tetra that has lost nearly all of its colour and its skin is looking cloudy with random scales sticking up, it is also extremly bloated.
I ran afew tests afew minutes ago, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate about 10pmm. After all these tests proving fine i then did a pH test and it came out really red!!! About pH 5 maybe lower!!! I have some pH Up soloution and will obviosuly be adding it to the tank, i was just wondering, how the **** has this happened, my pH was stable at 7 not 2 days ago so how has this massive jump happened? Would you think this is the reason fish in my tank are dying and does anybody have any answer as to how i can solve this internally (without using pH up crystals)
Thanks

Just did a pH test of our tap water.. the reading was pH 5 or lower!! Im sure this can't be right, i did a 28% water change yesterday but i didnt think my water had gone this acidic, when doing tests on my tap water before initially setting my tank up 3 months ago the pH tests were saying the water was about 6.5 - 6.8. Is it possible for tap water to change acidity? Im sure even if it does i shouldnt be drinking water of a pH of 5 or lower... Any ideas?

dont add ph up. you'll just do more harm than good. make sure you have plenty of surface agitation for the co2 in the water to offgas. I doubt poor gas exchange would cause it to drop that low, but maybe its possible? First, i would check your ph test. do you have any distilled or ro/di water? It should read 7 or close to it.

Its nothing to do with surface agitation, i have a 14in bubble wall and a bubble stone in the tank. I had to add pH up to the tank i wouldnt drink this water let alone want to live in it (refer to pictures) im going to ring the waterboard and see what the hells going on my tap water is literally pH 5 or lower. So this is why im thinking its my tap water not something in fish tank. Here are afew pictures of tests i ran.

Tank Water (before crystals added)
img_1176317_0_6d32b89f8b51ad54b118a849c80eb240.jpg

Tank Water After Crystals Added
img_1176317_1_8f80a849729dfdde67e48ed871cbf571.jpg

Water Straight From The Tap
img_1176317_2_a532f8b71e2685081b96d4804bde0151.jpg

Control Test (added afew pH up crystals to my tap water)
img_1176317_3_1ea583439e8f42cda59b7b32bc542179.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom