Stress zyme or stress coat? Also how to keep rams happy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wakijaki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I am pretty new to the world of fish keeping so I'm really mad up to have found this place and hope people out there will respond to my questions!
I have a Juwel 190 corner tank that has been up and running as a freshwater tropical aquarium for about 10 weeks now. I have slowly added fish on the advice of my local fish retailer and now have 16 in total, ranging from neon tetras to my new rams.
My first questions are which is best to use - stress zyme or stress coat? At the moment I am using stress zyme every time I do a water change or add new fish but now that is nearly empty so I want to buy a large bottle of new stuff but don't really under stand which is better and is it better to add this every week like it says on the bottle or just when changes occur.
Also I have only had my rams for a few days but they now seem to have taken a corner of the tank for themselves and are being very territorial about it belonging to them. What is the best way to keep them happy with the other fish? Do they need a cave or somewhere to call home as although I have a few rocks in there there aren't really any little hidey holes.
I'm sure there are millions more questions I will need to ask as I go on but thats my 2 main ones for now and would really appreciate any advice as I just want my fish to be happy!
Thank you

stress zyme and stress coat are two different things. One is a water conditioner (stress coat) and the other is a bacteria booster (stress zyme). The abilities of stress zyme are dubious at best, so I would avoid using it in the future. Your tank's biofilter should have plenty of bacteria in it already, no need to keep adding boosters to that, it's just marketing gimmick.

Stress coat, or another water conditioner (Prime is the most recommended here), should be added any time fresh water is added to the tank.

The rams sound like they have paired off and possibly have eggs in the corner. You could give them a cave or something but in my experience they don't really use them.

Rams are territorial and bottom dwellers they will find a place they like and stay there. If they are settled and happy then you are doing good by them. They like tangles of wood and rocks to play and hide in. They are great little fish once they settle in and get comfortable.

Wow thanks everyone, will definately take your advice over the Prime, I hadn't even heard of it before.
As for the advice about the rams - came home from work yesterday and the larger one was dead. The other one seems ok and has stopped guarding the area now its on its own.
Any advice on fish death causes? It seems like every time I add new fish to the tank that I have a fatality and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it that I can see. I have got testing kits and my lfs always test the water before they sell me fish but its most upsetting to keep losing fish. Especially now its one of my rams after 3 days when they just seemed to be so well settled.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom