Stringy White Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dsudnick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish tank has been getting cloudy a couple days after I would do a water change. I’ve been noticing this consistently stringy algae that is tangled all throughout the rocks and is hard to vacuum out.

Is there any kind of algae remover for that?

Is it possible to shovel out all my rocks and put in new ones?

I don’t want to mess up the cycle of my tank, I have 55 gallons fresh water tank, right now my parameters are

7 ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20-40 nitrate

I have 2 Angelfish
1 Adonis Pleco
1 Silver Catfish with black spots
1 Betta
7 Gold Tetras
5 Nerite Snails

Anybody else have this problem and how/what are you doing to fix it?

How long has this tank been set up, have you changed the substrate or filter pads / got a new filter, or number of new fish?

A few pics might help.

How long has this tank been set up, have you changed the substrate or filter pads / got a new filter, or number of new fish?

A few pics might help.

Hello! The tanks been set up for probably close to 6 months now. I’ve never changed the substrate and I don’t have filter pads I have those ceramic bio rings and some sponge that I rinse off when I do water changes. I have not gotten a new filter or new fish.

I can’t take pictures because the algae is almost like it’s rooted throughout the substrate underneath and the pictures don’t even show it

The stringy "algae" could be fungus. I have seen that before and, it eventually went away.

The cloudy water could be an algae bloom. A different member here had a water cloud issue for a year and was suggested to try a UV filter and it fixed their problem.

It could be algae or too much proteins, food in the water. You don't seem to have ammonia. I would test the water for ammonia next time it gets especially cloudy, or periodically just for the sake of ruling out the ammonia spiking / causing it.

As for the stringy fungus stuff, have you tried vac'ing the substrate? I would try that, routinely, for awhile and see if it disrupts it's growth.

By vac’ing do you mean vacuuming. Yeah I have ):

Yes. Hmmm. Well, weekly? I Just am not sure. How long has this been in the tank?

Toxic stuff for killing it would be a last resort. I'll look for the thread from a long while back.

Back
Top Bottom