Stuf on driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is this on my mopani driftwood? The piece was soaked for a week and has been I. The tank for a week. Noticed this on Thursday. Is it harmful? How do I get rid of it? Also. My p.h. Tested 6.4-6.6 today. Is that ok for German blue rams, yoyo loaches, guppies, bn pleco, rumynose tetras, and pearl gourami? I also found a few rocks I want in the tank, will they raise the tank closer to 7?

Attachments

• image-1266815641.jpg
    image-1266815641.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 92
It's probably just a fungus. Harmless and will disappear in a few weeks-months. Some fish may eat it and that's fine. As for the rocks it depends what kind they are.

Can't get a pic till tommorrow. But they are light grav and rounded, what is the best way to do this, boil? Or soak? Also, is my ph ok?

Eggs then maybe. Hosestly the pics really fuzzy. Do you have snails?
And your pH is perfectly fine as it is. Best not to mess with it. Your fish will be accustomed to it.

Eggs then maybe. Hosestly the pics really fuzzy. Do you have snails?
And your pH is perfectly fine as it is. Best not to mess with it. Your fish will be accustomed to it.

Nope nothing in the tank yet, sorry bout the blurry pic. It looks like cotton almost, like thin and puffy. It hangs Ott the dw.

Thanks. And from my reaserch, all but the guppies are ok At a 6.6 p.h. But when I get my guppies tommorrow(first fish to get, tank just cycled) I plAn on acclimating them by floating and adding tank water every 15 min. Is this ok?

Yes that sounds fine. You can add small amounts if water more often than every 15 minutes though. Really the best way to acclimate is via drip acclimating. There are how to's on YouTube.

I usually put all rocks i find outside in the oven, and bake them at a smooth 400 degrees. Havent had a problem with this method in years.

I boil my rocks for about an hour. pH is more about keeping it consistent, you dont want it going up and down.

Thanks everyone! So I tested a few minuets ago and the P.H. Is 6.4. I test again and it is 7.6 after 10 tests it is about even, so half the time it is 6.4 and half the time 7.6. What's going on? Also, the tempature was at 84 for the bb to grow. I've been puttin it down and right now I can't tell what it is, what do you trust, murmurs or stick on?those are the rocks

Attachments

• image-569372996.jpg
    image-569372996.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2326599423.jpg
    image-2326599423.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2980154695.jpg
    image-2980154695.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 51
Tested again and had 1---6 ph, 1---7.2 ph, 2---6.6 ph, so wht do I believe? The 6.6 seems the most consistent. Also, can you elaborate on drop acclimation?

What are you using to test pH?

To drip acclimate add the fish and the water from the bag to a bucket. Start a syphon from the tank using an airline tube and place it in the bucket. Pinch the line off enough to create 1-2 drips a second. I use a peg or you can knot the airline. Leave it drip until the water in the bucket has doubled then remove half and discard. Continue until it had doubled again then net fish and add to tank. Discard all water in the bucket.

I am using API master test kit liqued. I actually just finished acclimating and my guppies seem to be doing well. Couldn't find a airline tube to use so I did what I found was an alternative. Fill a bucket with water from the bags. Every 5 min. Add a cup of tank water. When doubled, too out half and repeated: took about an hour. They seem happy!

I am using API master test kit liqued. I actually just finished acclimating and my guppies seem to be doing well. Couldn't find a airline tube to use so I did what I found was an alternative. Fill a bucket with water from the bags. Every 5 min. Add a cup of tank water. When doubled, too out half and repeated: took about an hour. They seem happy!

Sounds perfect. Enjoy your new fish!

I would stick to the most consistent reading for the pH and keep an eye on it. It does seem to just around a bit during a cycle.

It is seeming like a steady 6.6. Wowo, even with 3 little guys it seems like a different tank! So a few questions. It seems like two of them are together most of the time at the top, and the other is more at the bottom alone. The 2 that are together will come over and then all will swim around like the 3 musketeers and then break off again, is this normal? Also, here they are.
EDiT wow that pic is bad. I'll try to get some with a real camera

Attachments

• image-1374038137.jpg
    image-1374038137.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 47
Yeah, but I just feel bad for that one guy! But wen they all swim together they look amazing!!!

If you didn't have any fish, I would suggest using hydrogen peroxide 3% and squirting it on the DW once a day for a few days. In my 25 gal I have used 50 mls once a day for the past two days and it it really helping! Not sure if you can do it with fish though, sorry. Also, before I did the peroxide, the day before I scrubbed it down as best I could with a sponge. It got most of it off but the HP 3% is getting the last bit off.

Back
Top Bottom