stupid me and lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeinvb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i bought a tank and stand upgrade , from my 10 gallon to 29. got a used light on craigslist with teh tank and everything, one of the parts for the lights doesnt work and the other light does. so my roommate has another light ballast that he does not use. i decide to change his bulbs. due to a crack salt has infested the inside and i guess i broke it trying to switch in my new bulbs, does anyone have any suggestions of where i can get cheap prices on ballasts. needless to say im ready to explode after this episode.

What size ballast you are looking at? The cheapest ballast is 2x32W - you buy a T8 shoplight that has an electronic ballast for around $15 (from HD & other hardware store) & take the ballast from it.

Another source is to check out the Fulham workhorse ballasts - they are the ones used in AH Supplies' kits & people have good luck with them. They can be found on the net for $20 & up (depending on size).

PS - you usu. can't break the ballasts, it is usually the lamp holders or wires that breaks ... before buying the ballast, check that one of the wires had not come off the lamp socket, & the socket is not cracked, etc. These cost much less to fix.

I have a couple of ballast laying around that I would be happy to give you, but I would need to know what exactly you needed so I could tell you if I have it.

my light ballast

i have a 29 gallon that is 30 inches long and the bulbs are 21 inches i believe, its PC but anything you have or would suggest, i would be happy to pay just nothing outrageously expensive. thanks for your help everyone i do appreciate it

those are definately some cheaper prices than ive seen at lfs's and some other websites, charging 3 or 4 hundred for a similar setup thats 150

Back
Top Bottom