Stupid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Generally when you're cleaning it, you're just removing the dust or any debris thats remained on it from when it was made. Doesn't really matter if you use treated water or not I suppose, as long as you rinse it well :)

I clean the sponge in tap water since it gets so nasty. The rest of it I do not mess with at all. If you do want to clean it, use tank water.

I use tap water for the sponges and tank water for any other part of the filter media. The sponges get too dirty to clean out well enough in tank water, esp on my bigger cannister filters. I don't worry about any recycling as my substrates hold bacteria as well. If you have no established substrates and ornaments, you would have to worry about a mini cycle. If the tap water has been treated with a dechlorinator overnight then you won't have to worry about the chlorimines or chlorine.

I have cleaned the filter with tap water, and had no ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spikes ever. Untreated from the faucet, so I could get some power. And this is in a pretty max-stocked tank. I have an eclipse hood w/ biowheel, so the biowheel, substrate, old carbon (in bag under filter), decorations, plants, etc. should have enough bacteria to be just fine. Not to mention... that bacteria is stronger than you think. A little tap water for 30 seconds wont kill them. :D

Back
Top Bottom