Substitute for de-chlorinator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjangle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Honestly, this last week has been straight from fish-owner hell. Since I got home from college- after nearly seven months of having no issues with my fish- *everything* seems to be going haywire. I'm stressed out of my mind enough with life as is, to be dealing with seeing my fish looking so unhealthy and in pain.

Anyway, I noticed my larger goldfish was showing signs of suffering from bad water quality, sucking at the filter hose, gasping at the surface, occasionally flashing on the gravel, and swimming with his dorsal fin down. Also, wouldn't you know it, I used the last of my de-chlorinator last night when I was doing an emergency water change on the other tank.

I feel basically trapped at this point. I can't do a water change because all the water I will be able to get tonight will have chlorine and chloramine in it. I cannot drive for now because I need to wait until next tuesday to re-activate my car insurance, and I am literally dirt broke for at least a few days.

Is there anything I can do to relatively quickly dechlorinate tap water, or is there any common household item I can add to it to at least make it possible for the fish to survive in with as little complications as possible?

ugh...seriously, next time it's going to be some kind of fish that doesn't literally poison its water every day.

Well first, what kind of goldfish do you have because most goldfish fish requires at least a 55g. They produce a lot of waste and require clean water. Ensure that your filter is running smoothly and properly by rinsing certain media in water from your pwc.

As for the substitute, I hear some people leave out water for 24 hours to remove chlorine but it still doesn't eliminate other harmful stuff.

Well first, what kind of goldfish do you have because most goldfish fish requires at least a 55g. They produce a lot of waste and require clean water. Ensure that your filter is running smoothly and properly by rinsing certain media in water from your pwc.

As for the substitute, I hear some people leave out water for 24 hours to remove chlorine but it still doesn't eliminate other harmful stuff.

The one this thread is dedicated to is a regular fancy fantail. he's in his own 15gal and I know it's too small, but it's all I can afford at this moment. I am already talking to someone about a used 40 gallon that I am trying to pick up on Monday, but until then, I can do no better.

I am a little anxious because 24 hours is simply too much time. My fancy has been sucking at the surface for the last five minutes, and he isn't looking good. I would be far more patient if I wasn't in such a bad situation...

I'm sorry if I came off as rude, that wasn't my intention. A lot of undesirable things has happened today and I am stressed out of my mind...

Do you have a test kit? If you do, it would be helpful to get the water parameters. As for the dechlorinator question, I don't really know, I'm sorry :(

perhaps your refridgerator has a filter on it? it may be a RO filter.
Have a friend who lives in an area with a well?

and a link i googled how do you remove chloramine from tap water
How do you remove chloramines from tap water? - Tap Water in Aquariums FAQs

sounds feasible if you got a couple carbon filters you could just hang your filter on the bucket and cycle the water until you have to do water changes. leave your filter off of your tank until you can get it cleaned with properly treated water

I feel your Pain here....you anywhere near Trenton NJ? I'd Drop you off some Prime, sounds like all you need is a couple cap fulls

I would give you one of my millions of bottles if I could lol.
Btw Pton, your name wouldn't happen to be Payton would it? o_O lol cuz that's what I think of every time I see your username.

I would give you one of my millions of bottles if I could lol.
Btw Pton, your name wouldn't happen to be Payton would it? o_O lol cuz that's what I think of every time I see your username.

LOL nah...Pton comes from Princeton or P-Town as us locals used to call it back in the day.

The University students used to call us local kids P-town Rats growing up.

I was looking for a User name for a fantasy Football team and called it the Pton Giants... because I fat fingered it ....it stuck and used it ever since.

46 was one of my Jersey numbers in High School Football/Baseball and was my favorite....

Back
Top Bottom