Substrate change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to change the substrate in my 20G from gravel to sand, I obvoiusly need to take all the fish out, but is there anything else I need to do?

Yep.

buy sand, rinse sand,repeat.

It took me about an hour to rinse 50# of sand.

I bought the sand already. I was just concerned about the bacteria on the gravel. There should be enough on the decor and plants to be okay right? And I need to take the fish out too? Thanks!

yeah just dont wash the plants or decor or mess with the filter.

yes get the fish out, got a QT set up?

when you are going to fill the tank, use a dinner plate on the sand then the water on that, if not then it will be cloudy and you will have to go and redecorate.

I always wondered that myself, if you change out your current substrate, will the filter bacteria and decor bacteria be enough? Enough that your tank will not start another cycle?

it wont start another cycle( if anything a bacteria bloom for maybe 48 hours). believe me. Ive been using sand for years and swap back and forth a few times a year.

All the fish you have will be fine.( what kinds I forgot)
Dk, Ive cycled 4 tanks with angels AND neons. as long as you just let things be for atleast a month it will be fine.

Sand is a PITA to keep clean, get some malaysian trumpet snails( I got some PM me) to keep the sand turned and cleaned, do not go more then 2" deep at the absolute most no need to go deeper then that, it only creates headaches and that measurement is off a 55g,.

I don't have a QT set up, I was just going to take some tank water out and put them and the plants and stuff in a bucket so they don't dry out. Would they be okay in a bucket for a while? I just fed them some peas so I am waiting for them to all poo so I don't have to clean that up later. Getting the loaches out should be SUPER fun....lol!

yes w/ sponge filter, heat and air.

atleast a 5g bucket for the fish alone, clean real well first.

Kuhlis are easy to catch, they tend to follow the same route when spooked, just watch their spooked swim patterns and place your net there, they swim right in.

Ok, I have the clean bucket, and will put the other stuff in there. Have to make sure to put a lid on it! The loaches try to jump out when I am doing water changes. They are CRAZY! Maybe I will just put some peas in the net, they seem to LOVE those lol! Thanks for your help!

I just drained off some of my tank water into a clean bucket, took the heater out of my tank and put it in the bucket along with the fish....

Keep everything wet, filter media, rocks and decor if you have them. Cheap bucket at a dollar store will cost $3 or so.

Lather, rinse, repeat with the sand. You may want to tie a piece of pantyhose to the filter intake and check it every few hours, just so you don't get sand going in your filter.

I just did it a week or two ago ;)

the panty hose is also good for not loosing any fry up the HOB stem. Thing is you need to check it every day or so to make sure it does not clog up... See that the water flow out of teh filter is still going strong.

No thanks to the fry!!! That is why I bought all male gouramis. I am not sure about the loaches, but I sure hope they don't have babies!!! When I researched them, it said it was very hard to breed them, which is why I chose them lol. I have enough fish to take care of right now without adding any babies! LOL!

I've got some extra tanks, so I don't worry about pregger plateys, but mine have only had fry once and I didn't notice it till it was too late and they all got sucked into the filter or out with the PWC :(

BTW - never took much credit for when people said that the sand makes the tank look so much better until I did it myself. I did it for a 30g that is still cycling. It actually made me go out and buy sand for the 2 established tanks and change them out ;).

I have changed all of mine to sand too lol! Now all 3 tanks have it. I think it looks better and is easier on the outside of my BGK and loaches. Also easier for them to get the food that drops to the bottom. I will always use sand from now on! Cheaper anyway!

I got a Chinese Algae Eater as one of my first fish... Mistake.

But he seems to have mellowed out a bunch with the sand. He's dug himself a little hole and likes to hide in his little fug out under the rocks and flower pot ;).

I have also gone planted recently (well planted as in not having the green die on me within a few days), and it looks so much more nicer with rocks, driftwood and plants in a natural looking tank.

I just ordered a bunch of plants. Not sure about the driftwood yet though, seems like a lot of work just to get it to where you can put it in your tank. I did go out and get some rocks the other day though. They are soaking in a bucket and I am going to drip vinegar on them today to see if there is any reaction.

With driftwood there is an easy fix. Run it through your dishwasher (without soap) then soak it for a day or two. Run it again through the dishwasher the give it an overnight soak with dechlor and a fungus tab or an algae destroyer tab.

Why the fungus tab or algae tab?

Because most DWs once placed in the tank will grow a white film. It is harmless to the fish, and some like to nibble on it. But by using one tab or the other, even both at once, I found that the wood doesn't film over as much. :)

Well, I am the only dishwasher in my house lol. Oh well, I will just use rocks lol. Driftwood is expensive anyway lol. I could just go grab some outside, but I am afraid of bad things on/in it....

Back
Top Bottom