Substrate for a heavily planted 5g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I want darker substrate an was planning to go with black sand, but both species I'm considering this tank for ( Dario Dario and sparkling gouramis) do better in high planted tanks. I want low light plants as I do not plan to run a co2 system, an high light plus high nutrients equal alage everywhere. Anyway any info on substrate would be helpful , thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know I want darker substrate an was planning to go with black sand, but both species I'm considering this tank for ( Dario Dario and sparkling gouramis) do better in high planted tanks. I want low light plants as I do not plan to run a co2 system, an high light plus high nutrients equal alage everywhere. Anyway any info on substrate would be helpful , thanks!

I have scarlet badis in a 5g using Eco Complete. Running the led light that came with the tank (Spec 5) plus root tabs and weekly dosing of Leaf Zone, Excel, and comp. Plants include Amazon sword, val, dwarf sag, and hygro plus flame moss and dwarf water lettuce.

Do you have to have a cap for Eco complete? I have root tabs galore for my swords in my 36g and flourish excel,

Do you have to have a cap for Eco complete? I have root tabs galore for my swords in my 36g and flourish excel,

Not that I'm aware of. I have a build thread for the tank and a cap was never mentioned or suggested.

This is the first time I've used EC, my other planted tanks are regular gravel or sand. I like the looks of it but I am having trouble keeping some of plants in the substrate. Could be the fault of the shrimp in the tank or the badis. I keep replanting and hope they'll stay down long enough to establish longer roots...

Oh, bonus with the EC is that it doesn't have to be rinsed prior to use (y)

Ah, cool. Since you have badis, have you noticed any certain plants they prefer? I'm rolling around the idea of sticking my 5 gallon with a male badis or a M/F pair and a pair or trio of sparkling gouramis since they both have similar tank requirements.

So I found a gem of a 10g tank stand in the back of the ag shop when I was supply hunting for equipment for the school fish pond, so I got to take it home for free. So I think I'm just gonna go an pick up a 8$ 10g from Walmart. So pumped for that

Do are you doing both a 5g and 10g?

I have 2M and 5F in my 5g, no issues. As far as plants I don't think they prefer anything in particular, just lots of hiding places. This is a moss cave/tunnel that I have in their tank, they often go in there (the little white things are scuds):

img_3214919_0_ecda362a6f423adc32580e26e6018443.jpg

10 now, better for everybody. An this way I can better customize the lighting out put. I think I'm gonna go with the Mirco sun led, though the 6 inch or 12 in is what I haven't decided yet and cool tunnel. I found a awesome piece of drift wood that I'm gonna prop up on one side. Then heavily plant my way down a slope. The rocks in the tank are gonna be sandstone that also gonna include serval caves. Since I'm ordering off live aquaria since all together shipping will be more cheaper for me as I have a larger order to make, so I'm a bit worried of getting all males in. Or one female and 3 males

Back
Top Bottom