Substrate Or Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcbyrds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have not had a tank set up for years. I am setting up a 75 gallon, freshwater. Can someone please tell me the difference between Substrate & gravel. I am planning to have live plants. How much would I need for a 75 Gallon tank?
Thank you.

Substrate/Gravel

Thanks, can you suggest a particular brand. Do I need substrate & gravel for live plants?

Some plants - java fern, anubias, mosses - just need something structural to attach to, like rocks or wood. They don't need to bury their roots in "the ground". They're kind of the air plants of the aquatic world.

Most plants need a substrate, something they can grow their roots into. Many people here grow plants in either a purpose-made planting substrate, like Eco-Complete or ADA AquaSoil, or in sand, like play sand or pool filter sand from the hardware store. Fine gravels will also often work, depending on the plant species. Or even garden soil topped with gravel or sand.

Personally, I'd figure out what I wanted to grow, then do some research on how to grow it well, before putting a drop of water in the tank. It's a PIA to scrape all the substrate out of a big tank if you decide it's not what you wanted after all (ask me how I know...)

Here are some general topics to help get started with planted tanks: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/articles-to-help-with-the-planted-tank-83826.html

And here is a discussion about substrates specifically: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-guide-to-substrates-for-the-planted-tank-53380.html

The Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community section of the forum is a great place to look for questions and answers, too.

Gravel is a kind of substrate. If you have gravel, you have substrate. :)
Substrate is the stuff you put on the bottom of the tank. It is usually some kind of gravel or sand.
Some people love sand, others like gravel better. There are various kinds of each. There are even some specially formulated to help plants grow, like Fluorite.
The first thing you need to do is decide if gravel or sand is better for you. For certain kinds of fish, like corydoras or kuhli loaches, sand is the best option. They enjoy digging and burrowing in it. Figure out if any of your stock requires sand.
If you aren't a fan of sand and none of your fish need it, you can go with small, smooth gravel. I have this in my tank, mixed with Fluorite gravel to help my plants grow.
Hope this helps!

So I just went through this process about a month ago when I rebuilt my aquarium. Here were my findings:

ADA Aquasoil is the best option for growing plants, with Eco-Complete right behind it if you wanted an alternative brand. This substrate does lower the PH of your water for a few months. Pros are it has a ton of nutrients and very easy to plant in. Cons are it degrades over time and only last about two years. As it degrades it leaves dust on top and gets everywhere. It is also expensive.

Seachem Flourite is the second best option. It is clay based and comes in sand or gravel. It has some nutrients, but not much. Also comes in many colors and lasts forever. Also easy to plant in. Downside is it does not have nutrients, although it is said over time the gravel soaks up nutrients from the water. It also can be expensive.

Sand, and normal gravel is what many people use. Sand is extremely easy to plant in and looks really nice. Also pretty cheap. Downside is it does not have nutrients and fish waste just sits on the top. Gravel is also harder to plant in, which is what I used to have before I switched.

I personally went with the Seachm Flourite gravel (Dark) with Flourite sand as a bottom layer. I also put in root tabs and use PPS-Pro for fertilizer. I am happy with it. It all comes down to what you like as everyone has different opinions.

Whatever you do, make sure to wash the substrate (except the ADA Aquasoil) before you ever put it into the tank. I washed my Flourite gravel and sand for 2 hours everyday for a week and still did not get everything out. You will thank me later. Hope this helps!

I have been experimenting with substrates, I tried garden compost topped with gravel, the plants did well but looked messy.
In my second tank I tried white sand, it looked good plants survived, just.
I now am trying a layer of white sand with a light coloured gravel on top.
This may or may not be any help but what ever you chose I wish you good luck.

First off I would like to thank you all for your advise. I purchased 80 lbs of CaribSea Eco-Complete Plant Substrate. This will be a community tank. I love Angelfish and plan to have quite a few. Any suggestions for the type of plants they prefer? Also, what type of catfish will benefit with this substrate? Thanks again for all your advise.
McByrds

Back
Top Bottom