Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on getting an axolotl (see userpic) for my 2ft tank, which is currently empty. Axolotls will eat any gravel they can fit in their mouths, so for substrate I need to use something big enough to not get eaten (about 2cm or more diameter). I used river rocks in my last axolotl tank, but waste would get between the sizable gaps between the rocks and was impossible to clean.

I have considered using slate tiles and just making a flat, slate bottom. I have also considered sand, as this will pass through easily enough. What else could I use that would look good and be easy to clean?

If they eat anything that they can fit in their mouths, do you think this means that they may need it for some reason? I would go with a sandy substrate that is really fine grain. Slates would be neat too.

could you just paint the outside of the bottom of the tank blank and go barebottom ? nothing in the world easier to clean. you could then decorate as appropriate so that it doesn't look bare.

you mean they might need the rock for nutritional reasons? :D :D no, seriously, they tend to just accidentally eat anything in the general vicinity of their food. hand-feeding does address this a little, but once they're hand-trained it's difficult to just dorp food in the tank when you're in a rush.

they also tend to freak out if they can't grip the bottom of the tank, and bare glass is just too smooth.

at the moment i'm leaning towards the sand option (hm, i wonder if i can get black sand?) with some chunks of slate for caves.

fish

Joannde had a good suggestion. Barebottom is very low maintenance. Your idea of slate would work too so long as you do not wind up with pockets of dead, non flowing water under it. And sand should be good as well. What is the bottom in their natural environment like?? Could you use something similar? So long as it is not say, mud and decomposing plants. lol And don't forget the pics when you are done, sounds like it would be cooll! Good luck with the 'little' guy.

On a side topic, I'm guessing this is a lab-reared specimen? I just ask because this species is on the CITES endangered species list. I know you've done your research, so I don't mean to cause offence, I just wanted to be sure :)

They look cute, in a weird kind of way!

zenkatydid said:
you mean they might need the rock for nutritional reasons? :D :D no, seriously, they tend to just accidentally eat anything in the general vicinity of their food. hand-feeding does address this a little, but once they're hand-trained it's difficult to just dorp food in the tank when you're in a rush.

they also tend to freak out if they can't grip the bottom of the tank, and bare glass is just too smooth.

at the moment i'm leaning towards the sand option (hm, i wonder if i can get black sand?) with some chunks of slate for caves.

What I meant was that maybe the sand that they eat helps them in digesting their food or clearing out their intestines or maybe they consumed it for a beneficial bacteria? These are all just guesses of possibilities, and I am sure you would know a lot more about them than me.

Black sand:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...Gen_Page-_-Substrates&subref=AA&N=2004+113555

yeah, axolotls are captive bred. they are endangered in the wild, which is very sad :( but they thrive in captivity and breed very easily.

for substrate i decided to go with black sand, but found a very fine gravel at my lfs. it's not sand, but it's close, and i'm happy that if it does get eaten, it will pass through. it's very dark, not quite black, with specs of brown through it, so looks very natural.

it was incredibly dirty and even after washing it ALL DAY (we must have washed it a couple dozen times) it's still not quite clean. i've filled the tank and got the filter running (not cycling it yet), so hopefully that will clear it out. i suspect it's actually fine stone particles rather than actual dirt.

thanks for all your help! and i will definitely post pics when it's done :)

Back
Top Bottom