Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaysonS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if there is any way I could change my substrate from gravel to sand while my tank is still up and running with fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yep, it can easily be done.

Just drain your tank about 75%.

Scoop out the gravel.

Throw in the (cleaned) sand.

Re-fill the tank.

This is exactly what I did when I changed from Play Sand to PFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks !

Just make sure to turn your filter off while you're doing the change, and I like to put a sponge prefilter over my intake to prevent any sand from getting into my filter. Of course, turn off your heater while you're lowering your water level, but remember to turn it back on as soon as it's full again.

I've recently changed from gravel to white sand and I absolutely hate it. For me sand seems to be more work it really bugs me when I can see bits of fish pooh lying about. I'm thinking of changing back to gravel

I've recently changed from gravel to white sand and I absolutely hate it. For me sand seems to be more work it really bugs me when I can see bits of fish pooh lying about. I'm thinking of changing back to gravel

Because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Better to see it and deal with it than let it fester on the bottom of your gravel bed. If it's that bothersome, why not try black sand?

I did want black sand but after asking around people were saying it not really suitable for corys so I chose the white sand. Don't get me wrong I clean my tank religiously every week, but I'm finding my self doing it every 2 days now I like to see it looking clean

I did want black sand but after asking around people were saying it not really suitable for corys so I chose the white sand. Don't get me wrong I clean my tank religiously every week, but I'm finding my self doing it every 2 days now I like to see it looking clean

I've got a pleco so trust me, I KNOW, lol. But the amount of gunk I took up from underneath the gravel when I made the switch was unbelievable. And that was before the Pleco. Went to sand and added another filter (eheim) recently and it is a tremendous help with keeping the sand clean since.

Not suitable for Cories ?? Why ?
Blasting sand might be rough, but mine do fine on my Tahitian Moon Sand black.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423605523.111267.jpg

Got told it was to sharp but since then I have seen the black moon sand. I might just install another filter and see how that goes

Got told it was to sharp but since then I have seen the black moon sand. I might just install another filter and see how that goes

You got told that black sand is sharper than white sand?

I did. But the black sand I was looking at was sharp and there wasn't a great deal of choice so I went with the white sand looks good when it's clean, it just needs cleaning every couple of days to keep it this way

I did. But the black sand I was looking at was sharp and there wasn't a great deal of choice so I went with the white sand looks good when it's clean, it just needs cleaning every couple of days to keep it this way

I guess I'm lucky my fish's poop matches the colour of the sand then ?

So Keep about 25% of my water?

Yes, your real issue is going to be adding water back in. The slower you can add, the less cloudy it will be. My filter cleaned everything up in a couple of hours (Aqueon 55/75)

Just make sure you go with pool or blasting sand. Playground sand is too fine and compacts easily. Its also rough on plants.

Back
Top Bottom