substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enviraMENTAL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi -I have just bought a 72 gal bf and want to move my african cichlids into it. In the interests of economy I am looking for a non-fishstore gravel that I could put in. I already have plans to buy some local slate to make caves and hidey-holes, but don't really know of a good gravel type. I was also warned about quartz in gravel. Anyone know why? Thanks.

I plan on using "Concrete Sand" in my next tank, it's the sand that's mixed with concrete, contains some larger pebbles and is heavy enough that floating isn't going to happen, I found a place here that's 80 lbs for 4$ , so 8$ will give me 160lbs..

Not sure about the quartz, but I have heard of Lime causing a problem (PH buffering)

intersting read I just googled..

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTksSubWebIndex/substraags.htm

Most places sell river rock....small enough to be used for a gravel bed. Try a landscape store.

As for the quartz....isn't alot of aquarium gravel made of quartz?

From the link posted above....

"Substrate Types Commercially Available:

Quartz, silicate, SiO2 sand, the plain masonry/builder's variety is promoted by some hydrophyte growers, but I don't particularly care for it. Silicates are non-nutritive, unreactive, sharp-sided and tend to pack down. Their best quality is price; typically very cheap. If you're settling on quartz, look (bring a hand lens) for one that is more spheroidal than two-dimensional, and avoid "play sand" grades. You want a coarser, #15 (i.e. fifteen average pieces per linear inch) or lower (that is larger size) number grade.

Other silicates:Crushed glass, marbles. One's too sharp, both are too microscopically smooth.

Flints, are crushed silicates; they are good-looking and cheap in areas of origin, but can be a little sharp for catfishes and other livestock that cut easily.

Volcanic crushed rock, cinders; this igneous rock is unsuitable for the same reasons as all the other silicates mentioned above; it's too sharp edged, and lacks porosity and buffering action.

Coated Gravel, colored or not, pebble or flat pieces, are also inferior in my opinion. Aesthetic considerations aside (maybe you like pink and lime green together!), epoxy, et al. coated gravels lack surface area and possible mineral contribution. Worst case scenario are some off-brands of sealed dolomitious material that aren't quite sealed. Beware these that don't rinse clear on rinse-cleaning.

Calcareous Gravels and Sands Dolomite, Marble, Coral Sand, Marine shells, etc.: are compounds of varying make-up of calcium and magnesium carbonate. Some "soft" dolomites are quite soluble; all calcareous substrates should be used only with plants that prefer or will tolerate hard, alkaline water. These are few.

"Natural Gravels"; are my hands-down favorite choices. The best of these are "river-run" collected; they're blends of hard silicates, including basalt, feldspars, granite and more. The commercially bagged varieties are graded, angular, and alkaline enough to be of near-optimum use for aquatic gardeners."

I'm a little confuse here. Do you want sand or Gravel? African Cichlids normally prefer sand...

I can say from experience, that the ecocomplete african cichlid sand is great but very expensive. i ended up paying about a dollar a pound. :eek2:

I didn't know they prefered gravel. I know that the one I have are moving a ton of the smaller sized gravel that I have and it continually changes the floor of the aquarium. If sand is better, would that "Old Castle" stuff that I've heard of do?

If you have a builder Supply around you (stone yard, ask home depot where you would order yards (standard measure is Cubic Yards) of gravel and they should tell you) they often have very good prices (like the ones I quoted above) for bulk amounts.

they often carry Concrete sand which is more coarse and Masonry sand which is fine and very uniform, both have prices below 10$ for 100 lbs. Much better then the 1$/lb that the fish store wants.

Calciferous or buffering sand, or aragonite sand like the SW folks use, would be great for your Africans. Pool filter sand is CHEAP also and is a great alternative. It has a slightly larger grain and will not tend to fly around the tank and get into your filter.

I didn't know they prefered gravel. I know that the one I have are moving a ton of the smaller sized gravel that I have and it continually changes the floor of the aquarium.
Learn something new everyday :D My Africans have been doing fine with small gravel for years. They just want to excavate :D For pics of my Mbuna tank, check out my gallery.

I am pretty sure you can get 50 pound bags of playground sand at a hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot for like $2 a bag. I'm not sure if its safe to use it for aquariums, but you can use it as a substrate for reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom