Sudden die-off of Echinodorus "Kleiner Bar" Swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello --

I have a 65 gallon aquarium that has been set up for about 8 months with several species of live plants. In the last two weeks, my Echinodorus "Kleiner Bar" swords have begun to die off. I use liquid plant fertilizers per label instructions. This is the only species that seems to be suddenly dying. The rest of my plants seem to be doing OK.

I have angelfish, swordtails, bloodfins, blue rams, cories, clown plecostomus and otocinclus.

Coincidentally, I noticed about a month ago that all of the snails in my tank "disappeared". I also seem to be experiencing some algae over that same time, but not enough to explain the single species of plants dying.

I'm at a loss to figure this out. Anybody have any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks.

Do you have root tabs under the swords? They are heavy root feeders and will obtain most of their nutrients through the substrate.

Thanks fishenthusiast for the reply. I've never used them before, so I have a quick question. the directions say to place tabs one for every 30 square inches of substrate. Do they go close to the plant bases?

Tahnks again

Sudden die-off of Echinodorus "Kleiner Bar" Swords

Thanks fishenthusiast for the reply. I've never used them before, so I have a quick question. the directions say to place tabs one for every 30 square inches of substrate. Do they go close to the plant bases?

Tahnks again

I plant mine every 2" x 2" area where there are heavy root feeders. With some tweezers, I push the root tab as far down as I can so that there is little chance of leaching.

Back
Top Bottom