Suddenly cloudy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

My tank is approx 46 gallons, 6 glowtetras, 5 mollies, 2 platys; not planted. According to AqAdvisor: Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 153%. Recommended water change schedule: 14% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 80%.

Everything has been set up & cycled for a couple months now and I've been using the test kit every other week. All the numbers have been perfect since September until this week. :-(

We had a power outage due to some construction issues, and were without power for over 24 hours. Miraculously, everyone in the tank survived and seemed to be fairly minimally stressed with frequent water changes from a lovely friend who brought warmed water from across town.

Since Monday, the water in the tank is white/milky cloudy and hasn't shown any improvement.

Here's what I've already done:

• Checked to make sure water wasn't actually green (it's not)
  • Daily water changes of 15-20% (as advised by LFS)
  • Tested daily to check water - everything is good except nitrites which are suddenly high. Ammonia at 0, etc.
  • Tested the tap water directly out of my faucet with the kit (at a recommendation off google) - it shows high nitrite levels.
How do I fix this? :blink: Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
When your friend gave you the water it may have not be treated with water conditioners. If there were chlorine or chloramines in the water it may have killed your some of your bacteria in your water that were converting the fish waste.

Due to the power outage you most likely lost some, not all so don't panic, BB and your experiencing a bacterial bloom. Due to the outage keep up on your WC's to help bring down ammonia but you'll just need to wait out the bacterial bloom. Typically they don't last overly long.

Eek, guess I should have mentioned that I treated the water that was brought to me. But I very much appreciate the reply :)

I suppose the different water parameters could have made things a little screwy, too..

And I guess I will just keep changing water & hoping this disgusting-looking bacterial bloom goes away soon.

Anybody have an idea about how long it's gonna take to run its course? Ick.

Back
Top Bottom