Suggested medicine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I had a question concerning medicine. What has worked for you when facing ich, fin rot, or scrape injuries? There are many brands out there that claim to do the same things: API, Aqueon, Top Fin, Seachem, Tetra, etc. I would really like to know what has worked for you? Also any stress zhyms, or conditioning salts. Thanks

Unless there's an infection or other underlying condition, clean water--really, really clean water with a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime--will solve almost all fish scrapes and fin problems. Salt is sometimes required for treating ich, though in scaleless species like plecos it's really not recommended. Heat is the preferred method of treatment then. Other than that, clean water fixes most things though there are, of course, always exceptions. :)

Unless there's an infection or other underlying condition, clean water--really, really clean water with a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime--will solve almost all fish scrapes and fin problems. Salt is sometimes required for treating ich, though in scaleless species like plecos it's really not recommended. Heat is the preferred method of treatment then. Other than that, clean water fixes most things though there are, of course, always exceptions. :)

I use RO water for my SW Fish Tanks. Would you add some Prime to that?

I've never used RO water, but there's a version of Prime specifically for salt water tanks, and I'm sure that would be fine. Seachem has a great website where they're really good about answering questions, if you want to double check with them though. :)

Prime is not needed for RO water as the filter has removed almost everything. A DI filter will get the rest.

For medicine my first line of defense is Garlic Xtreme by Kent to keep or strengthen the fishes immune system. If I see any minor wounds of flashing I add it to the food. If I see ICH spots I add it directly to the tank per instructions. After 2 or 3 days I stop for a day and do a water change. Then do it again. IMO moving a sick fish into a quarantine tank just adds more stress to a fish thats already stressed. This is what works for me your results may vary.

Hi, I don't have a SW tank, but in my FW I used Kordon Ick attack and I raised the temp to 82 :) it's gone now!

If you have ich in the tank there are two ways to cute it hypo salinity and copper. Nothing else truly works. If ich you will need to move all fish to quarantine and treat them there. Your display will need to be without fish for at least 8 weeks to kill the parasite. Fin and tail rot are a sign of poor water quality.

If you have ich in the tank there are two ways to cute it hypo salinity and copper. Nothing else truly works. If ich you will need to move all fish to quarantine and treat them there. Your display will need to be without fish for at least 8 weeks to kill the parasite. Fin and tail rot are a sign of poor water quality.

I used the copper method. My royal gramma was too far along and he died. My clowns and green chromis are doing good with zero signs of ich. I'm on week 3 with copper treatment. I hear a good rule is about 6 weeks.

My scopes tang showed ich spots a few days after I got him home. I added garlic to the water and to a high quality food did 50% water changes every other day and the spots cleared up and never returned. My other fish never showed any signs. Most people I spoke with told me medicine, heat or hypo, I chose to go the route I went because it caused the least amount of stress and helped his immune system. I try to avoid moving sick fish if possible and so far so good.

Works for me! I have 4 tangs and I don't quarantine. The trick is to catch it early. I have never lost a SW fish to ICH. I tried other garlic additives with no or lesser results.

Back
Top Bottom