Suggestions for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerbarb12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting closer and closer to starting up my new 75 gallon. I'd say another month or so and ill have it up and ready to cycle. Its the standard 75g, 48"x18"x21".. i purchased three 20lb bags of black sand online, tehetian moon sand? I also purchased a 48inch finnex fugeray planted+. Im new to planted tanks, kinda always stuck to fake ones, so if anyone can give me some plant species that would be ok with this light. I want a fairly dense planted tank, not lightly planted. I also would like at least a couple red plants. If i have to inject co2 im willing to invest, but if i dont have to, i may not. Any ideas can help a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. First of all, I'm not sure if 3 bags of the moon sand will fill up the bottom of that tank. I got 2 bags for my 56 gallon tall and there's only like a centimeter of sand.

Some easy plants are:

Anubius
Limnophila sessiliflora
Hornwort
Crypts
RED ludwigia
Amazon sword
Banana plant
Moneywort

Hello! :)
It just so happens my 75g has the same light and is planted! I have sand as well, but it is mixed with Eco complete and Flourite. If you want a nice planted tank I would definitely recommend the Eco complete.

I use dry fertilizers(PPS-PRO) and pressurized co2 (custom paintball tank setup)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431013449.902840.jpg

I would do the plants recommended above plus:
Vallisneria- best grassy type plant you can get without going into high light/ co2
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431013510.706115.jpg

Bacopa Caroliniana- make sure you are prepared. This plant grows fast! When it gets a little tall, cut the top off and replant, in a few weeks you have another growing quickly. I had a huge patch of this and it got so thick I had to pull it and space it out among my tank because the bottoms were not getting light.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431013578.199552.jpg

Cryptocoryne balansae (crispatula)- grows kinda slow but never had a problem out of it. One of the first plants I got.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431013710.971050.jpg

Water sprite is another good one
Java moss as well.

If you don't have diggers like me you can try star Repens. With some ferts they would grow nicely.

Caleb

Im gonna have to rsearch ferts and i may need co2 system since i want it planted pretty heavily

Is it possible to use strictly root tabs without liquid or dry ferts?

Is it possible to use strictly root tabs without liquid or dry ferts?

Yes for the heavy root feeders such as swords and Cryptocoryne they need them anyway.

I'd look into PPS PRO as a cheaper alternative to liquid ferts.

Caleb

Now how will i gauge how much fert to use with the tabs

If i use tabs and pps pro, how would i know how much fert to use since the tabs will be in substrate

Thank you, ill read what i can at lunch break, then finish it at home

Should i use an aquatic soil under my sand?

I have 3 20lb bags of black sand, i figured it wasnt enough so i was gonna take care of the remaining substrate with eco complete

I was thinking 2 bags of it, and put the sand on top of it, im estimating about 2-2.5 inches of substrate

Alright thank you, gonna have to keep reading up on ferts, not sure if ill need co2 system yet

Alright thank you, gonna have to keep reading up on ferts, not sure if ill need co2 system yet

I went ahead and got one. You definitely with the right plants won't need one. It sure helps though. I can find the video I used for my paintball system of you want.

Caleb

Hmm if u dont mind posting the link or url, itd be appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom