Sump level is low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFAquariums1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I recently set up a 60 gallon rimless cube with a 10 gallon sump underneath. I have noticed that my water level inside the sump is dropping (more than expected) over the past 2 days.... Maybe about 1/4-1/2 inch or so..... I check everything and there is no leaks. I do have this in a sealed enclosed cabinet. Is this a normal evaporation rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I evap over a gal per day on my 90, about 1/2 inch per day in sump.

I'd say your loss is well withing norms.

That makes me feel much better, I'm not running an auto top off on this system yet, so I got nervous... All my other systems have auto top offs and I routinely fill the reserve bucket up 2-3 times a month, so I don't notice the loss in the sump itself.

My other question is, this is the first stand I've built that's enclosed ok all 4 sides. Should I be worried about the humidity inside the stand rotting he wood?

That would probably depend on the wood you are using. Though there isn't much you can do about it if it happens...besides rhinolining the inside I'm not sure what you could do to stop such.

Yeah it's just 2x4 wrapped in ply which has 2 coats of paint on the inside and out. I just want to make sure it's something I can catch before it's too late lol

my 50 loses about 2 pints a day, and I have most things covered to reduce evaporation.
one other thing to consider is how much water your skimmer may be pulling out of the system as well. ;)

you could install a couple of cheap fans into the cabinet to exhaust air/moisture.
problem solved.

Ha, the skimmer makes loads of sense! Gese wish I woulda thought about that!

evaporation and skimmer have a lot to do with low water levels , on average I lose almost a gallon a day in my 90g , if it wasn't for my ATO I would be pulling what little hair I have out , my 37g really don't lose much since I use a glass cover on it , only thing with this tank it tends to heat up fast since it don't breath much , but the real kicker is my 40b freshwater tank open top with 2 hob filters this tank loses almost 2g a day ,
this tank I hate to a passion as it's supposed to be my daughters tank and she's to maintain it but somehow good ole dad got suckered into it .
ATO's are a good investment and mine is my friend saves me from having to carry buckets of water to fill tanks

evaporation and skimmer have a lot to do with low water levels , on average I lose almost a gallon a day in my 90g , if it wasn't for my ATO I would be pulling what little hair I have out , my 37g really don't lose much since I use a glass cover on it , only thing with this tank it tends to heat up fast since it don't breath much , but the real kicker is my 40b freshwater tank open top with 2 hob filters this tank loses almost 2g a day ,
this tank I hate to a passion as it's supposed to be my daughters tank and she's to maintain it but somehow good ole dad got suckered into it .
ATO's are a good investment and mine is my friend saves me from having to carry buckets of water to fill tanks

Lol that's funny how you got suckered into maintaining the tank. My dad has a 55 freshwater that's HIS but guess who does the water changes for it lol but all that's gonna have to change because I'm moving out Saturday.

Thanks everyone for the help! Seaweed, thanks for bringing up the skimmer, and sniper much help as always! Thanks again everyone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom