sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttopmustanggt88

Aquarium Advice Regular
would a mag 18 be able to keep up with two 1 inch bulkhead overflows?? and how do you distribute water when it first enters sump?? thanks josh

1500gph is what 2 1inch bulkheads are maxed to. so what ever the mag 18 is it should not go over 1500 gph. the water should go to the other end of the sump from your return pump.

alright then a mag 18 should work because it has 1800gph @0 feet and around 1200 gph @5 feet. and i relize where in the sump i wanna dump the water. im gonna run it over filter floss then over lots of bio media then over more floss then to pump but ive seen things on here like drip trays or something like that to spread the water out but yet i dont wanna slow it way down just a little confused. was also wondering if a overflow box is absolutely necessary?? can i just mount the stand pipes at the same level without the need for a overflow box?

i would put a ball valve on that mag 18 pump, you don't want your tank overflowing. not sure on the drip tray,sounds like a baffle type.you want the water to have a slow point. do you have a refugium or sump under your tank? an overflow box is only needed if you don't have built in overflows. i don't know about these stand pipes do they go to your sump-refugim?

im building my own sump. the tank is drilled but has no overflow boxes installed. i was wondering if i can just use a freestanding pipe and no overflow box. if i put them at the same level in the tank they should just keep the water level at the level i adjust them too without the need for a box. as far as i understand the box is to keep from sucking up fish correct??

Its to get more surfase area for SW tanks (the way protine skimmers work they are most effective if the water is collected from the surfase and feed directly into the intake)

I wouldnt recomend a mag pump over the Mag9 they seem to loose there quite smooth running nature past that model (well it might be the 12) but the 18 Ive heard nothing but bad news.

Ranbow Lifegard pumps might be an option.. of course some of the better external pumps would be ideal.

there are some good deals to be had on externals by the way.. you just have to look hard for them..

You'll still want a prefilter or saftey on the standpipes to avoid the fish getting sucked up, unless your tank already has a divider between that compartment and the main. Dursostandpipes.com has many examples. FWIW, I use a Durso, and though it can be tricky to troubleshoot if you get the flushing effect, once dialed in it rules.

man i already have a mag 18 on the way. o well ill see how well it works and might have to upgrade hopefully itll get the job done for awhile so i can get this thing tuned in and running correctly.i wouldnt mind an external but am i gonna have to drill my sump to run it if i ever do get one?? thanks again for all the info.

I really dont know of a bad brand of external really (some have favorates but if looks alot like the others they generaly work pretty much the same) there are sudble diffences like were the motor was manifactured and application, such as high head preasure pumps that cost more but I really don't see those as options you need.. so whatever gets the job done will likely work well for you.

as far as drilling.. well.. that would be the best way to go about it. Im sure you could work around it with some creative pluming if you had to though.

Back
Top Bottom