Sump with FX5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TerenceH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an acrylic 120g corner bow with built in overflow. I am setting this up for Africans. I have an FX5 and was recently given a sump. I would like to run them both using the existing overflow without drilling additional holes and in a single line.

My idea is to drain into the sump first then to FX5 and back into the tank. The FX5 will pull the water from the sump using its pump. Is this possible? What is the best way to do this?

Is the canister filter and pump going to be at the same level? I would not recommend this because you cannot regulate the flow of the canister to the tank, which makes it extremely difficult matching the overflow gph with the canister gph.

Canister and sump at the same level. Was not planning on using additional pump for the sump. Only wanted to use the pump from FX5.

Are you saying that the water would drain into the sump faster than it could be pump through FX5 and back into tank?

Canister filters work off gravity, just like overflows do. The pump only pumps water back up. For a sump, you need a pump, a canister filter won't work

Back
Top Bottom