Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude3233

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I make my own sump and what are some good pumps for it it needs to work for a 125 g tank thanks I advance

I would like it to turn the tank over 5 times a hour plus my magnum 350 will make it turn over about 9 times a hour any idea how to make one . Herpmamma did Atlantis aquarium in Georgia close

Well if your tank isnt drilled then you will need a tube to syphon the water into the main filtration/biological area of the sump. You need it to equal the ammount of water being returned to the tank or you will have a flooded room. I know someone here knows how much water a pvc pipe can syphon out per hour but not sure who. 1/2 inch will be less then 1 inch when determining this. My tank had a 1in hole cut and I needed 1500gph to equal the ammount bein taken out. You can always put a ball valve on a bigger pipe and adjust it accordingly. Sumps are easy to make so dont get discouraged. Alot of DIY

I would like it to turn the tank over 5 times a hour plus my magnum 350 will make it turn over about 9 times a hour any idea how to make one . Herpmamma did Atlantis aquarium in Georgia close

Yeah they closed. I assume the old man either passed away or had a heart attack and could no longer take care of the store. He was absent during the closing sales. You can find a pump chart on marine depot's website. And there's plenty of plans on building a sump online too. I used a 30gal tank and siliconed in acrylic pieces to create sections.

For a 125 I would use a mag 12 and have Use 1.5 " drain lines. If mag 350 means 350 gph then your only going to get 1 x turnover after headloss. if it is a ph your referring to that is still only 2.5 x turnover...

As for getting a pump to match the drain lines capacity, this would only be necessary if your tank is drilled on the bottom and you do not have an overflow box and stand pipe which would be a really bad idea because your tank inhabitants would go down the drain.

The drains will pull out the amount of water you allow them to meaning the amount of water that drains out is a function of how much you are pumping back in. I would not recommend trying to match the drain lines capacity with the return pump bc if the drain becomes even slightly obstructed water will spill over the DT.

I have two 1" drain lines which can sustain up to something like 1200 gph each! I also use a mag 7 on a 75 and am getting around 3-400 gph back into the tank as I have a t feeding the refugium an there is 3 ft of headloss. There is no possible (well very improbable lol) way for me to get a flood out of either the sump or DT.

I have power heads to supplement Flow in the DT.

Back
Top Bottom