sun catfish not eating :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexou812

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
sun catfish/eclipse catfish depending on where it comes from. okay... so water params are a-okay, and theres practically a buffet for them lol. they are about 9 inches long.. both are brothers so they're practically inseparable. BUT i cant get the big fellaz to eat:/?! i have flakes, pellets, shrimp pellets, pond food, algae wafers, and eveb brine shrimp. what else should i be trying? could they just be stressed from thr move still? i got them 3 days ago. advice would be greatly appreciated!

ForumRunner_20120119_071531.jpg

40 breeder. water params are spot on for what they should be. i do daily water changes as well.

Please do us a favor, when asked for your readings, type in the exact readings. When we're looking for precise information to assist you with a potential problem, it would be nice if your response was helpful.

Also, please read up in this thread for how large this species get. They're gorgeous but they won't last long in your 40. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/eclipse-catfish-43483.html

sorry lol. nitrate 0ppm. nitrite 0 ppm. soft water(75) 120 alkalinity. 7.2 - 7.8 ph. ph is thr only one that decides to fluctuate. and yes, they are very beautiful fish, however I've asking around and the general consensus is that they do not grow to be anywhere around 12" in captivity. i'll see i suppose. sorry about the vague-ness though

it said between 0-20. i ran another one and came up with 20. not sure about the variations. and if it matters any my tank was planted 3 days ago before i put sand in.

Yeah, a planted tank will eat up the nitrates. They really are beautiful fish. Maybe they're not eating due to changes in their environment, you did only get them 3 days ago.

very true.. so you think i should give them time? it's not like they're skinny or anything.. they really are fat lil guys haha. they might be eating when the lights go out.. who knows :/

They are a nocturnal species, so yeah, they're most likely cruising the diner after lights out. Did you give them lots of hiding spaces? That will help, too.

Try feeding them the meatiest stuff and the algae wafers for the next week or so and see how you make out.

ok thanks... and ya they have plenty of hiding spots! I guess i'll just see what happens.

Sometimes it's hard to relax around our fish because we expect a certain behavior from them, or we just worry for nothing. The fish are probably laughing their butts off at us and would give us a chill pill if they could. ;)

i wouldn't doubt it.. the lil guys probably get a big kick from it lol. on a stranger note.. my little black convict seems to have dissapeared.. and i have a good guess where it went... :/

Back
Top Bottom