Sunset Hygro Growth and observations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, here is a good one for someone to figure out. These new sprouts turned redder overnight. I changed the water yesterday and didn't add anything to the water as far as nutrients. NO3 should be about 10ppm. The lowest sprig in the back on the bottom is the brightest one. I still don't believe that all the plant is effected by the same thing but this is unlikely caused from my lighting. Just another twist to the story. :roll:

Here is my newest theory. High light needed to use up nitrients causing plant to actually suffer and allow the virus to thrive turning the plant different colors.

Here is another one. The higher the light and the healthier the plant the more excess nutrients are available for the virus to thrive and create the colors which are actually a symbiotic relationship with the plant to provide nitrients in time of need. Kind of like a bulb for storage of nutrients over the winter. Could allow the plant to grow a lot more at night when it is not photosynthesising.

Any thought?

JustOneMore20's is the best I've seen so far :p I've got some, but it's illegal where I live so I won't post pics :p I love the the stuff but I would make sure it's dead before you flush any stems. If you get tired of it, throw it on the floor, let it dry (until crispy) and then flush it. In all seriousness, don't pollute your waterways with this stuff, it's nasty and invasive. Kill it before you dump it.

OK, I give

Rosa_Nervig_x800.jpg

Hey Kristen, is that the sunset hygro that I sent you? LOL Mine are pretty too. I'll have to see if I can snap some pics later to add to this thread.

travis simonson said:
LOL, betcha weren't expecting that ugliness. Lal . . .lal . . la, oh pretty flowers . . . dang!!! Please quit now Travis!

We're on our way Travis, don't despair. Actually they do look pretty good, despite your personal observations. :)

Yes Melissa...thats your Sunset! And your polysperma beside it. Its looking good! I put recent pictures in my thread in the aquascaping section....check it out!

Sweet! I love to see my plants doing so well in your tank. I think they look better in your tank than they do in mine dag nabbit!! Actually, I got the sunset from Newfound and the polysperma from Mr. Funktastic. AA at work!!! :D

Yep, isn't AA great! So Mr. Funktastic, thats your polysperma in my tank! I have more Sunset that Newfound sent me, but the leaves are really small. I have it on the other side of the tank where it can get alot of light...then I'll move it over to the other group. I have some Hygro. Ceylon with thin leaves from Newfound also. You people are great!

I'll throw my pic in with the others.

From my inexperience with this plant (only had it about a month or so) I got the red coloring to come out when I did pwc and did not add nitrogen. Other than the red coloring which only occurred near the upper half of the tank, the plants stayed primarily green.

Beautiful plant, and I love the white veins, even the wrinkles of new growth.

Attachments

• hygro_wrinkly_993.jpg
    hygro_wrinkly_993.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 33
  • hygro_wrinkly_993.jpg
    hygro_wrinkly_993.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 29
LMAO. Nice colors Travis. Now if I can get that kind of coloring in my experiments I will have some really good information. Almost looks like an emersed setup. :wink:

There is some corntoversy brewing in my research though about "sunset" hygro. Seems like it is actually a selective breeding, cross pollination from the original. I know this doesn't help with it being banned because the entire species is banned in some places but is a neat tid bit I have found more and more often about it. Does anyone know for sure if it was intentional or if sunset was native somewhere and then brought here?

Now that I have seen there are 2 pages! Nice colors and pictures everyone. Mine don't get that bright, yet. They are still young and just starting to grow well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom