Super newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ckadams530

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What i have...

37 gallon tank with starter kit (filter, heater, lid, light, thermometer)

4kg/8.8lbs volcanic soil (stratum)

7kg/15.4lbs premium national substrate (all natural porous clay)

11.3kg/25lbs aquarium gravel (white sand)

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

My thoughts on fish....
2-3 dwarf gouramis
5-6 mollies
5 kuhli loach
1 rainbow shark

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Any and all advice or ideas welcome!

Welcome to fish keeping. Read up on cycling your tank and then if you do a fish- in cycle add them slowly. Only a few at a time, as to not overload your biological filtration.

Just a few mentions from my experience on your fish stocking. Every time I say this about gourami, some one pipes up and tells me I'm wrong. What may work for one person may not work for the next, and so on. Each person on here can only (or should) just relate what they have personal knowledge of. But i digress, often gourami are aggressive to each other. Great with other fish, but the males don't like each other. And when young they are very hard to sex. 1 m and a few f's will work, or a shoal of 6 or 7 I've been told. Betta is in the gourami family. Also, occasionally red tail sharks are aggressive to other bottom dwellers. Esp their own kind, but some times to corys, loaches, etc. Just a couple of things to keep in mind when stocking

Agree on the Dwarf Gourami, I was given a couple and they happened to be males and they fought for sure and that was in a 72G tank!

Rainbow shark gets to 6 inches and can get really cranky at other bottom fish. I adopted one recently, so beautiful and he's been in my 4 feet long, 80G for several months.

Night before last, I watched him charging at every fish in what I assume he decided was his territory. For an hour non stop, eventually he went to other areas and seemed to stop bullying the other fish. In my case, there are a number of other bottom dwellers, so I plan to try him in my other 4' tank which has Kuhlis and Cories, in hopes he can settle in.

I kept an old 6.5 inch Red tail shark Also given to me. That girl would swim /patrol a figure 8 in the bottom 1/4-1/3 all around that tank scaring away any fish in the path. They all knew to just swim the other way and there were mainly Cories and some BN plecos. Somewhat peaceably. With 2 Siamese Algae Eaters which the SAE were from also adopted from the same home as the RTS.

To me, I feel that this particular fish needs a large area 4' - seems a minimum based upon my observations and your tank size might need to be upgraded for this fish if it gets to possessive of the space in the future. My RTS was boss of the bottom of the tank!!! I loved my RTS (RIP at around 7 years old - I had her for 2ish) and this new one has the bonus of the red fins too and is also becoming a favorite as well.

Also I made sure there were good hiding spaces to possess as territory, and open space all around the perimeter of the tank and there were 2 levels between plants DW and stones it could patrol the figure 8 type idea paths so it had lots of cruising areas.

As for white sand, it is beautiful but really hard to keep clean looking. A lighter color natural sand blend is easier to live with, especially with darker colors underneath getting mixed up into the white, my 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom