Super Nitrite spike in 4 days?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I added my ammonia like 4 days ago and have been testing daily. Also added some substrate, filter media and decor from the established snail tank. My levels are reading : am-0 nI-5 nA-5 There is no way my tank could have a nitrite spike that fast, even with est stuff. What is going on here? It would be so very awesome if this is actually the case... I am so excited now. No matter what I am still waiting a couple weeks just to be safe. I should be able to get my fishies from severum mama by then :D

Attachments

• DSCF9166.jpg
    DSCF9166.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 73
what did you dose your ammonia to? i think it's possible, you added so much established stuff from your other tank, it may have had enough BB for the amount of ammonia you added to convert it all to nitrite already.

I dosed it to 4 and it stayed at 4 until today. I am really hoping so. But I think it is very rare for a tank to cycle so fast so I am leery of this.

i'm pretty sure i read any where from 2 weeks to 2 months. it looks to me like it is only at 1ppm nitrite right now. i dunno though, i always have a hard time telling the diff b/w 1 and 5 on that test

I am going to wait a couple weeks anyways, just to be safe. And I'll continue to check my water everyday.

It's definitely possible with the established stuff you added. :) I would keep testing to make sure, but your tank is likely almost cycled. Using established media and substrate cuts way down on cycling time.

+1 If you added a lot of established media, it will cycle quickly.

When in doubt, test again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom