Supermarket frozen raw shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bri66799

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it safe to feed triggers Supermarket frozen shrimp if ingredients list is not contain preservatives?

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

My eel and grouper prefer frozen cocktail shrimp(med-large) defrosted!
Tail, shell and all!
The things we do for fish!

So the triggers will eat the shell?

Yeah I think I heard somewhere it's good for their teeth

I feed my puffer and Tusk frozen (Uncooked) shrimp that I cut into 3 pieces. I leave the shell on. I also buy the squid tentacles from the fresh fish section. I always get looks when I ask for 3 tentacles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, but I will mention there is a risk involved because food meant for human consumption does not go through the sterilization process' that food prepared specifically for fish does.
What that means is that there is the potential risk of introducing a parasite/pathogen into the system, even if the food was frozen. some parasitic cysts can survive the freezing, but not the irradiation that fish food receives.
The assumption is that the food will be cooked and not in need of sterilization and if there is one thing that we should all realize is that if it came from the ocean, there is at least a 90% chance that it harbors some type of pathogen, much more so for food fish/critters than for ornamental ones.
We cook to kill them or otherwise simply assume the risk, our fish do not have that luxury of choice.

I'm not saying it will certainly happen, just something people who prepare their fish food in this manner should be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom