surface skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone use a surface skimmer in their tank?

Looking for something more then a filter for my 47 bow front tank, to pick up after silver dollars. I clean my tank weekly and boy is that tank dirty after 1 week. If the surface skimmer wouldn't help, any other suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say surface skimmer if it's just like an ordinary skimmer I can help. The normal protein skimmer will do a good job of cleaning the water that's why it's used in reef tanks. It is the noisiest piece of kit I have not sure if that's a problem for you but otherwise it's great. After adding the skimmer their should be a noticeable difference otherwise you could possible add another filter at the otherwise of the tank. Hope this helps.

My understanding from reading up on protein skimmers is they don't work in non-salt water tanks. The tank in question is a community tank. I wouldn't have any issues with the noise, but my husband might since the tank sits in his tv room, and the basketball playoffs are on. LOL

Back
Top Bottom