SW 10gal Nano Startup Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlonghorns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post this to help anyone else looking to get into saltwater but not looking to spend $300+ for a small Nano tank.

I just got all of my equipment ordered and on the way for just under $175 (not including fish) If anyone more experienced sees any issues or items that need to be added I’ll gladly edit my list!

Here is my list of items, costs, and where I bought them from.

Petco (online order free shipping on $49+)
CaribSea Hawaiian black sand 20lbs= $17.39
10 gal glass tank 20.25x10.5x13.25= $15.00
Hydrometer/thermometer 2-in-1= $2.59
Instant Ocean Salt 50 gal= $14.39
Aqueous submersible Hester 100w= $18.99

Petsmart (in store)
Glass replacement hood for 10 gal= $13.00

Amazon (free prime shipping)
Utopia 92gph filter= $11.99
11-19” Nicrew ClassicLED light= $17.99
API Saltwater test kit= $20.00
Flexzion Powerhead 160gph= $9.99
Seachem Reef calcium 500ml (for live rock)= $9.49

Bulk Reef Supply (free shipping all orders)
BRS Fiji dry rock 5 lbs= $11.96
BRS Reef saver dry rock 5 lbs= $10.76

Total= $173.54

Ditch the hydrometer for a refractometer. Air bubbles can throw off the salinity reading. It is much more accurate.
You won't need the calcium either. There is no need to dose such things unless it is a very heavily stocked SPS tank. Water changes will keep them in line.
You also won't need the Utopia filter. A cycled system will have a majority of the filtration completed by the live rock as long as you meet 1 lbs per gallon and 10% water changes weekly.
I think that will save you some cash for 5 more lbs of rock and sand.

You should check out our article section on cycling...and of course welcome to the salty side.

Thank you for the warm welcome and all the great info! Regarding the hob filter, I was reading and saw a lot of people add carbon and other media like g(t)fo phosphate removers. Would it be a good idea to use it while the tank cycles in its regular use and then use it later for added carbon/other media down the road? Also I decided I’m for sure going to buy 3-4 lbs of live rock from Petco up the street to get my started quickly

There isn't a reason to run anything during a cycle. A cycle is the literal polluting of the water column to promote the nitrate cycle. Running media can get in the way of this and even be a waste of money. With that, until one knows that the running of such media is necessary there isn't any reason to do so.
As for running filter media, HOB is a terrible method of running it. If down the road you see the need to run such, it can then be looked at to see if running this media in a canister filter can be accomplished.

Back
Top Bottom