SW tank basic questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balasharkfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g FW tank I know I want to change to a SW, perhaps a reef.

I'm convinced (by AA members) the Remora Pro with Mag 3 is the right skimmer to use but do SW tanks also use filters (Filstar, Eheim, etc..) because I see no mention of them with SW talk? I'm assuming so but was wondering what other hardware a SW tank needs. I will be purchasing a SW aquarium book but I guess my excitement is getting me carried away.

-Also for a 55g SW tank, would 60lbs-70lbs of LR be approriate?
-Benefits of LS?

TIA,
Dan

I found it hard to believe in switching from FW to SW but you don't need a filter in SW. LR and LS are your filters. Rule of thumb on LR is 1-1.5 times tank capacity. Benefit of LS is greater filtration.

I have 60 in my SW tank, but it's not very dense, and takes up a decent amount of room. I'll probably add a few more pounds later on. A good rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs per gallon.

I do not use a filter in SW, just my protein skimmer, LR, & LS (somewhat less live, after purchasing a sand sifting star.. :evil:)

i have a 25g FW and an empty 30g which I will also make a FW if i decide to make the 55g a SW. I love FW and wouldnt get away from it.

Other than the skimmer, LS, and LR...what else is needed for a SW tank?

Thanks again,
Dan

salt!

refractometer to measure salt

Lots of circulation (powerheads and/or sump)

Saltwater test kits (check yours, most say "fresh only")

RODI water system advisable

Lots of lighting.

Back
Top Bottom