swapping gravel for eco-complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've decided that I wanted to remove the cheap colored chain store gravel with eco-complete in my 20g tank, and had a few questions.

1) Is 20lbs of the new substrate enough for a 20g high? I know I wouldn't have enough for a 20g regular tank, but wasn't sure how much I should have for mine. I could keep some of the old stuff, if necessary.

2) What sort of potential issues might I have with ammonia spikes if I take the majority (or all) of the old gravel out and replace it?

I used 3 bags in my 46 gallon and I just had enough, it works great but there is better stuff out there

I recently changed out my gravel for eco complete in my 20g high, I used one full bag of eco complete, and that gave me an inch deep bed. My old gravel went on top for colour. But that gives you an idea depending on how deep you want it.

James_in_MN said:
I've decided that I wanted to remove the cheap colored chain store gravel with eco-complete in my 20g tank, and had a few questions.

1) Is 20lbs of the new substrate enough for a 20g high? I know I wouldn't have enough for a 20g regular tank, but wasn't sure how much I should have for mine. I could keep some of the old stuff, if necessary.

2) What sort of potential issues might I have with ammonia spikes if I take the majority (or all) of the old gravel out and replace it?

20 lbs should be more than enough. You may have a small mini cycle afterwards but do a 50 percent water change everyday for a week and you should be good to go. Just monitor your water closely for a bit.

I recently changed out my gravel for eco complete in my 20g high, I used one full bag of eco complete, and that gave me an inch deep bed. My old gravel went on top for colour. But that gives you an idea depending on how deep you want it.

Good to know, thanks. Sounds like I may want to mix in my current gravel with it so I can have a bit more than an inch to work with.

I just swapped a tank over to fluorite black and put fish and plants back in I just used seachem stability and used my same media in my canister filter tank never broke cycle. Eco complete is ok I got rid of it after I seen how much better fluorite black sand looks but just my opinion.

Fluorite clouds the tank alot more than Eco complete if disturbed and on initial installation, it's good stuff however. For the complete beginner, like myself who is worried about tank clouding and fish going back into cloudy water etc, I think Eco-complete is the easier stuff to work with, but many people do prefer the black of the fluorite. Replanting or moving plants may cause clouding with fluorite too. I chose Eco complete because I used my old gravel as a cap, so you can't see the Eco complete at all, so it made no difference to me on colour. If your mixing your old gravel into it, I doubt colour would matter but it's up to you, personal preference is everything. If you have any digging fish like loaches, or Corys they may mix it or disturb the layers if you do a cap.

Or if your careful and know what your doing you get no cloudiness I hate it when people complain about how cloudy fluorite gets. Just rinse it well put it in the tank put the bags it came in over the substrate than lay a plate on top of the bags to hold them down fill tank by letting the water hit the plate slowly. Remove plate and bags carefully after being filled and you should be fine. Ps after I switched mine over I have ten kuhli loaches, a peacock eel, and pleco's and sae's and they didn't stir up anything plus I'm running a good canister filter to pick up any debris that is present but very minimal. But keep in mind I've been working with fluorite since it came out so I've gotten pretty good with controlling it's cloudiness.

Discusapisto said:
Or if your careful and know what your doing you get no cloudiness I hate it when people complain about how cloudy fluorite gets. Just rinse it well put it in the tank put the bags it came in over the substrate than lay a plate on top of the bags to hold them down fill tank by letting the water hit the plate slowly. Remove plate and bags carefully after being filled and you should be fine. Ps after I switched mine over I have ten kuhli loaches, a peacock eel, and pleco's and sae's and they didn't stir up anything plus I'm running a good canister filter to pick up any debris that is present but very minimal. But keep in mind I've been working with fluorite since it came out so I've gotten pretty good with controlling it's cloudiness.

As I said, if your a complete beginner like myself we are not good at "controlling it's cloudiness".

Also, I Diddnt have to wash or fuss with Eco complete, just cut open the bag and dump it in, job done. It comes with bacteria you want so no washing involved. For the beginner into planted tanks I can't recommend it enough, as it's so easy to use, especially when it was already an established tank. No spikes at all, just put it in and carry on from where u left off.

Nomadu571 said:
As I said, if your a complete beginner like myself we are not good at "controlling it's cloudiness".

I know plenty of beginners who have success don't take it personal it's not a attack on you there's just so much bad advice that's one sided on here that I'm just giving the other side of the information that's all. No worries.

I wasn't aware of the Fluorite substrate prior to this thread (by Seachem I believe). The only other substrate I knew of is Fluval, which can be quite expensive.

I'll have to be careful of clouding up the tank no matter what type I use anyway. I don't intend to further stress the fish by taking them out and putting them back in, at least that wasn't the plan. Maybe I should reconsider?

James_in_MN said:
I wasn't aware of the Fluorite substrate prior to this thread (by Seachem I believe). The only other substrate I knew of is Fluval, which can be quite expensive.

I'll have to be careful of clouding up the tank no matter what type I use anyway. I don't intend to further stress the fish by taking them out and putting them back in, at least that wasn't the plan. Maybe I should reconsider?

I use both in different tanks Eco complete is much better than flourite nd I have it in 3 tanks

for my 20 gallon long I used 2 bags so i can have a slope also in my tank.

It would be wise to take your fish out if you are swapping out substrates that's alot of debris and particulates that can make your fish ill. All you gotta do is get a clean tote rubber maid or whatever and fill it with your water add your fish and your heater maybe a air stone. Than work fast and swap out gravel and your fish will be outta your way, add them back in after your all finished add your heater and water they are in as well. Very easy.

I agree take your fish out and put em in a rubbermaid with water from the tank not your faucet.

As for the heater, make sure you watch it so you dont have fried dead fish when you go to put em in. Your heater is set for the tank not a five gallon rubbermaid.

I did this also about 3 months ago with the Eco Complete. It seemed a lot easier to use when the tank was already up and running and I wanted to make it as smooth of a transition as possible for the fish and me.

You will always find pros and cons to whatever you use. Just know that both are better than kitty liter :)

The biggest factor in the EC vs Fluorite debate should be which one looks nicest to you personally. Honestly, the two are similar enough that you will get basically the same results growth-wise.

If the need to wash is your biggest differentiating factor between the two, you've probably got bigger issues than substrate choice.

It's really not that bad. Honestly. Part of the experience really.

Rozdab said:
I agree take your fish out and put em in a rubbermaid with water from the tank not your faucet.

As for the heater, make sure you watch it so you dont have fried dead fish when you go to put em in. Your heater is set for the tank not a five gallon rubbermaid.

I did this also about 3 months ago with the Eco Complete. It seemed a lot easier to use when the tank was already up and running and I wanted to make it as smooth of a transition as possible for the fish and me.

You will always find pros and cons to whatever you use. Just know that both are better than kitty liter :)

Kitty litter man too funny lol!!!:)

aqua_chem said:
The biggest factor in the EC vs Fluorite debate should be which one looks nicest to you personally. Honestly, the two are similar enough that you will get basically the same results growth-wise.

If the need to wash is your biggest differentiating factor between the two, you've probably got bigger issues than substrate choice.

It's really not that bad. Honestly. Part of the experience really.

Thanks for saying that. I couldn't agree with you more:)

Back
Top Bottom