Swim bladder disorder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishChick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My cousin is having a problem with her goldfish. He has recently been resting on the gravel in his 2.5 gallon tank. He has also been trying to swim up but keeps sinking over and over again. One day he was accidentally overfed and it was the opposite (he kept trying to swim down but kept floating up). He also is getting a dark spot (like a bruise) near his dorsal fin. To me, this sounds like a swim bladder problem (I had a betta die from something just like this). If I could get some input on what she could do and a diagnosis that would be great!

The issue is with the water quality though there's likely some dietary issues that are contributing as well if the fish is floaty after eating. Does your cousin have a decent test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Water changes, a larger tank and addressing diet may help. Unfortunately, a 2g tank is really too small for any fish but especially a messy goldfish that produces a ton of ammonia. 20g is the bare minimum. Please have your cousin check out the link below & ask any questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

The issue is with the water quality though there's likely some dietary issues that are contributing as well if the fish is floaty after eating. Does your cousin have a decent test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Water changes, a larger tank and addressing diet may help. Unfortunately, a 2g tank is really too small for any fish but especially a messy goldfish that produces a ton of ammonia. 20g is the bare minimum. Please have your cousin check out the link below & ask any questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Alright. I know she's on a tight budget and would not like to spend a lot of money on a tank that big mainly for the reason that in a year or 2 she will have to get rid of it so she can go to the dorm at school. What do you think would help with the dietary problems??

Alright. I know she's on a tight budget and would not like to spend a lot of money on a tank that big mainly for the reason that in a year or 2 she will have to get rid of it so she can go to the dorm at school. What do you think would help with the dietary problems??

I'm in a dorm at school and have a 10 gallon. We're allowed up to 20 gallons. What is she feeding them?

Unfortunately, the main issue is the 2g tank. No amount of dietary changes will help if this fish isn't moved to bigger tank with healthy water. A tank this size with a goldfish will never properly cycle so this fish is living in toxins 24/7. 100% water changes daily may buy her a bit of time. A 20g storage bin from walmart ($5-10) with a filter is an option to consider if budget is a concern.

FishChick said:

Honestly, if she doesn't want to spend money to properly care for an animal, she should find it a new home.

Back
Top Bottom