Swimbladder problem??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbrear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

My silver platy has suddenly been acting strange but wondered if it could be a swimbladder problem - don't know much about it as googling gave me contradicting info.
She has been laying at the bottom of the tank in the same place, come up and swims a little bit then lays back down as though she is exhausted.

When I get home from work I will test the parameters (although all the other fish are happy, one even gave birth yesterday too) and been informed to drop in some shelled frozen peas too.

Thanks

I always thought swim bladder problems prevented them from being able to control their depth in the tank. Ive had a couple fish before that would either do cartwheels in the tank or would constantly float to the top and have to struggle to swim back down. I thought they were gonners, but after a couple days they were perfectly fine. I started using sinking pellets because I've heard that gulping at the surface when they eat can cause the problem.

If your fish is laying at the bottom and coming up to gulp air it doesn't seem like a swim bladder problem. Id think either some sort of illness or water quality issues. What are the water parameters?

Thanks for the reply.
Checked the water and all ok - ammonia and nitrites were 0

She seems to be off her food to, just laying at the bottom now so I think we are gunna lose her :(

eco23 said:
I always thought swim bladder problems prevented them from being able to control their depth in the tank. Ive had a couple fish before that would either do cartwheels in the tank or would constantly float to the top and have to struggle to swim back down. I thought they were gonners, but after a couple days they were perfectly fine. I started using sinking pellets because I've heard that gulping at the surface when they eat can cause the problem.

If your fish is laying at the bottom and coming up to gulp air it doesn't seem like a swim bladder problem. Id think either some sort of illness or water quality issues. What are the water parameters?

That's bloating, not swim bladder... Blanched, shelled, chopped up peas are your best bet.

if you can get her to eat some shelled frozen peas that might help. My johanni has been battling this for about 2-3 months. It didnt work for me but it has for others. But my fish is still kicking just in his own 10g tank now so he can cartwheel etc in peace.

Good luck

Thank you, we have done the peas but she wouldnt come to eat them :( if she comes near the front we have some more to try

Back
Top Bottom