Switch from NO fluorescent to CF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a standard All-Glass 55-gallon tank that I purchased from PetsMart last year. It has two normal output (15-watt) fluorescent light fixtures. I have a planted tank and it has done moderately well since I set it up last summer. There hasn’t been much actual plant growth (other than my jungle val), and I have quite a BBA problem. I was thinking that more wattage might help with both of these problems.

From reading through this forum, it is apparently possible to use compact fluorescent bulbs in an incandescent fixture (not like I have now), thus improving the amount of light output. So, is it really that easy? All I need to do is purchase two incandescent light fixtures to replace my existing fluorescent light fixtures and put some compact fluorescent bulbs in there? What is the highest wattage of CF bulbs that would be safe to use in these fixtures? I would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks

yes you could purchase two 24" incandescent hoods and then purchase 4 25 watt CF bulbs from walmart. That would be better then 30 watts of NO, but the CF screw in's are not the greatest. they have a lot of loss due to restrike. just make sure you get the type that are U shaped and not spirled. Also make sure the are in the proper K rating.

PS. you could even go to Home Depot and pick up the incandescent lamp fixtures and mode your NO hoods to accept the CF bulbs yourself. the fixtures are only a couple of bucks.

Back
Top Bottom