Switching filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’m switching from a tetra whisper to a sponge filter for my Betta and embers. The old filter media won’t fit in sponge liter so should I just leave the cartridge in the tank under a rock for a week? Or do I have to leave them both rubbing? I don’t want to add to much of a current with both of them.
Does anyone know of any leaves that won’t lower PH?

Hello Fin...

Leave the Whisper filter material in the tank for a couple of weeks, then you can remove it. Bacteria doesn't take much time to replace what's been lost by cleaning the filter.

As for the water pH, you don't need to worry about it. Just follow a sound water change routine. By removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, you'll be able to maintain a steady water chemistry.

B

Personally I’d run then together for a week to give the sponge filter a bit of help while it’s getting colonized then leave the media in the tank for a while and when you remove it it might not be a bad idea to keep it in water and test for ammonia and nitrite the next day so you have a solution if you have a huge spike.

It’s probably over cautious but that’s what I do

Back
Top Bottom