Switching from CC to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be removing half of my CC and replacing w/argonite sand. There is currently (I can't remember how much) either 20 or 40LBs of LS.
I have a couple questions, in two parts:
With half CC half sand
1. Can I add a few "sifters", I have decided not to go w/a puffer...sigh..
2. How long should I wait to introduce the new sifters?
3. What kind of sifters, I was looking at a horseshoe but the seem to get too big...
With Full sand:
My tank is 19inches tall.
1. About 3-4 inches of sand?
2. Add more sifters? If so, what?

Thanks

It's in my info, but here you go:

Tank
55 Gallon
304 Fluvial Canister
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
2 3 Stripped Damsels
1 Blue Devil Damsel
1 Yellow stripped Maroon Clown Fish
1 pencil and pincushion urchins
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Cool. I've only been looking in the Profile sections - until now. Thanks for the edumacation. :?

My favorite sand worker is the nassarius snail. Sand sifter stars seem to deplete the sand bed pretty quickly and die in the experiences I've had.

I was looking at a horseshoe crab, but I think they get too big. What is a good depth? I was thinking about 4 inches..How many sifters should I get?

Thanks!

You ultimately doing reef or just fish only? My sand bed is 3" for my reef tank.

You asking about the snails? I'd probably do 5 or 6 nassarius. Nothing scientific at this point, just my guess since I don't know how old your tank is. You should also consider rounding out your cleanup crew with about 10 hermit crabs and maybe some other snails that'll work the rock and glass. Also think about either a brittle or serpent starfish too.

FOWLR.
I started tank on Jan 5th. Added Fish in Feb 5th (post-cycle). Should I just purchase a clean up crew? If so, where is a good place?

I've never bought online. Can't help with that. Check out Liveaquaria.com, but stay away from the packages they pffer. Often they are too large and critters starve.

Back
Top Bottom