Switching from gravel to sand freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjroadrunner68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know a lot of the tank cycle is in with the gravel.

Just asking is it ok to add sand right over gravel?

Sent from my VS876 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413425031465.jpg
    1413425031465.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 52
Nature demands that the smaller particles will settle to the bottom.

I made a total switch from gravel to sand while the tank was up an running.

I've read that doing it killing cycle of your tank.....tank has been running for bout 7_8 months now

If i do change wouldn't be until January

I've read that doing it killing cycle of your tank.....tank has been running for bout 7_8 months now

If i do change wouldn't be until January

I don't know about that. If I would have known that I probably would not have done what I did. :eek: I was under the impression that if you didn't do a complete change of your water and
/or filter media you wouldn't lose your cycle. You could always do it like some do when they add new filters. You could do half of your tank one week and the other half the next. I changed mine in one night without a problem.

There is more than enough bacteria in your filter to handle a substrate change. Do large vacuums of the gravel before you make the switch. Dont wash filter material before the switch either. Wash your sand (I say again, wash it). Remove gravel, and put the sand in slowly. Can leave the fish in the tank, can lower the water levels during water change, can leave water levels intact. Your preference. If you're going to do it, do it all at once.

can also add sand on top of current gravel, just do large vacuums as the sand will sink to the bottom in time and trap whatever gunk you have underneath there currently with negative results (gas buildup, etc)

Back
Top Bottom