switching substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this is probably dumber cause I have a pretty good stock and my tank has been cycled now for a little while. but is it doable to switch my gravel out for some kind of sand or dirt without starting all over with the cycle and everything I don't want to kill my fish

I've done it before with my tanks and it hasn't created any mini cycle. I did it on Thursday and I did my usual pwc on Saturday. There as no need for any other unusual pwc:)

Some remove their fish, others don't. I would just to make sure they are all safe and accounted for. Basically drain the tank and remove fish, decor and plants. Scoop out old substrate and replace with sand. Fill tank slowly to avoid kicking up much sand. You can put a plate down to help avoid that. Add everything back in and your done. Make sure you keep your filter media wet and covers over your fish to prevent jumpers from the bucket, container or whatever. That cloudiness won't harm your fish. Check your levels more frequently and do PWC accordingly.

I'll be changing out my cheapo PetCo gravel for eco-complete in my 20g high tank this weekend. Half of me is really looking forward to it, and the other half is dreading the amount of work involved. :lol:

so all in all maybe a couple hours at the least probably a day project.
If i do change the substrate what would be the recommended substrate to use and how do i rinse it before putting it in ive got live plants so i want something good for that and ive noticed its to hard to dig holes and bury my plants but ive watched videos of how easy it is to stick the plants in sand and dirt with a pair of tweezers and ive heard something about ammonia pockets is that just a thing that happens during cycling

blizowman1 said:
so all in all maybe a couple hours at the least probably a day project.
If i do change the substrate what would be the recommended substrate to use and how do i rinse it before putting it in ive got live plants so i want something good for that and ive noticed its to hard to dig holes and bury my plants but ive watched videos of how easy it is to stick the plants in sand and dirt with a pair of tweezers and ive heard something about ammonia pockets is that just a thing that happens during cycling

I like PFS (or play sand, harder to wash)and root tabs. Cheap, looks nice and easy to clean. You just have to wash it in a bucket until the water runs clear. If you worried about toxic gas pockets just stir the sand up occasionally. The roots of plants will help with this also.

Last edited:
do they have black pfs? and does sand require being vacuumed cause right now i dont vacuum my gravel cause i heard it actually helps fertilize the plants some

blizowman1 said:
do they have black pfs? and does sand require being vacuumed cause right now i dont vacuum my gravel cause i heard it actually helps fertilize the plants some

Umm, I don't think so. People use black beauty blasting slag as black substrate but after what I've heard about it I don't trust it. If you want black sand it will cost a bit but it's worth it. I have black quartz sand in my 10g and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

If you vac you just hold it about 1/2 an inch above the sand and Hoover it up. I don't vac my planted tanks either.

does it make the sand look bad though if you dont vaccum it? and would it benift the plants the same in sand as it would in gravel if not vaccumed. ive noticed the fish poo gets in between the gravel and works it way down wouldnt it all just sit on top of the sand.

blizowman1 said:
does it make the sand look bad though if you dont vaccum it? and would it benift the plants the same in sand as it would in gravel if not vaccumed. ive noticed the fish poo gets in between the gravel and works it way down wouldnt it all just sit on top of the sand.

I don't think so. Others might.
I've never really thought about it. I'd assume the waste would break down and make its way into the sand.

blizowman1 said:

As long as its black sand you should be fine on a lighter colour it would look bad if you didn't vac it but black would be fine,

I have it in some of my tanks

Back
Top Bottom