Switching to a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krissssssy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an AquaOne Maxi 103F internal filter in my 30g tank and I've just set up my new AquaOne Aquis 1000 canister and all is running smoothly.
I've never had a canister before so I'm wondering how long should I leave them both running for before I can safely take out the old filter?

If I'm thinking about it correctly, the new filter will need to undergo a cycle of a sort, growing beneficial bacteria in the media. I've seen people recommend 4 weeks though.

Alternatively, you can let it run for a few days then just move all your filter media from your original filter into your canister and be ready to go straight away

IMO, you should be fine to just change them out. Every surface in the tank is home to beneficial bacteria and will serve to repurpose any bio media inside the canister. As long as your tank has been running smoothly for a couple of months, you have nothing to worry about.

Just move the media, especially the bio-media into the canister and it will seed it just fine. You can leave the HOB on if you really want to but I'd just move it's media over.

The media in my internal filter is just some small sponge. Should I just put that in the canister and take the filter out? I just don't want to start a cycle again.

I've had the tank running for about 6 months.

The media in my internal filter is just some small sponge. Should I just put that in the canister and take the filter out? I just don't want to start a cycle again.

I've had the tank running for about 6 months.

If it's an internal filter I'd just let the other filter stay on the tank for at least 4 weeks if not alittle longer.

I did the same 4 months ago and left my original hob in with the new canister for a month, worked brilliant, love the canister filter I have a rena filstar xp3 , it's fab :)

I did the same 4 months ago and left my original hob in with the new canister for a month, worked brilliant, love the canister filter I have a rena filstar xp3 , it's fab :)

Yeah I've heard and read they are great. I've always had internal filters so it will be great when I can take the ugly and bulky thing out. It will look so much better.

Back
Top Bottom