Swordtail Gravid/Prego??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly_mary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What do you guys think? Here are two pictures of my swordtail.. do you think she might be gravid/prego?
If so.. my male swordtail is always chasing her around the tank.. do you think it might be to stressful? Should i move here into my going to be fry tank? Its a 5g.

picture.php

picture.php

Is she getting big in the belly?? I can't see the picture they turn up black because they are on my phone. She will get square in the stomach too.

I believe her belly is getting bigger, its hard to tell tho cuz i see her everyday. But i have noticed lately she is constantly hiding from the male and she wants NOTHING to do with him or any other fish.

And no not square yet

if she is in a tank with a male odds are she is pregnant .. what size tank are they in? what's your male:female ratio?

my female swords always hold for ever until the water quality is perfect, its always happens after a water change. and mine wont give birth if being harassed by a male..

a 10g is better to raise fry..

do you have a filter and heater on the fry tank? is it cycled? if you use the 5g you will need to do water changes every day or 2

I have a 75g community tank. For swordtails it is 1 male and 2 females. In my 5g i have heater, filter and air stone and yes it is cycled.

kimberly_mary said:
I have a 75g community tank. For swordtails it is 1 male and 2 females. In my 5g i have heater, filter and air stone and yes it is cycled.

I would suggest getting 2 more female swordtails .. and that will make a good fry tank.

I was considering getting one or two more females.. but i don't want to over populate my tank right away. Especially once they start having babies i was hoping to keep a couple. But do you think it will help change his behavior? Right now he tries to mate with even the tetras i have.

Oh and this is what i all have in my tank
75 Gallon Tank
2 Tiny Baby Mollies (in a breeder)
3 Swordtails (1 male 2 female)
3 Columbian Tetras
4 Glofish
4 Emerald Green Corys
1 Plecostomus

getting more will change his behavior and will calm him down. it really helps to rearrange your tank if you add more females ( or any fish for that matter) then they need to reclaim territory .. your male sword tail sounds like mine, he run the whole show

is your pleco a common?

also, what type of filter do you run on the tank??

glofish do better in groups of 6
and im pretty sure columbians do best in groups of 5
do you have driftwood for your pleco?

is your pleco a common?
also, what type of filter do you run on the tank??

I'm not 100% sure but i think he is a bushynose pleco.. maybe 4 inchs long. I have two Aqua Tech Power Filters 30-60g.

glofish do better in groups of 6
and im pretty sure columbians do best in groups of 5
do you have driftwood for your pleco?

I just upgraded from a 20g to my 75g about two weeks ago. So i wanted to add more fish slowly. I was planning on getting a few more of each. As i started doing more research I found out that both fish need more companions.
Yes i have two log type things in the tank that he loves.

But again I am still trying to stay cautious about not over stocking my tank. I just want them all to be happy and healthy.

Here's a picture of my tank

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom