Swordtail platy trying to mate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teenierini7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed that one of my male swordtail platies is swimming backwards at the female swordtail platies in my aquarium. This started yesterday when I added some females to the aquarium. My other two males that I have in the aquarium aren't doing this, but is this normal? I'm guessing he is trying to get their attention but in the few years I've had him he's never done this. Is he trying to mate with them? Also, I heard there should be a greater amount of females than males. Is it bad that right now I have 3 males and 3 females? They don't seem bothered by each other and don't fight. I I currently am keeping them in a 30 gallon.

Any thoughts or advice?

Males "Flaring" to attract the females is a normal & common behavior. An even number of males to females can be stressful to the females due to the never ending attention of the males. Watch them and if you see the females being harassed too much go for at least 2 females to each male. This spreads the attention out more. Hope you're ready for baby fish soon. OS.

Okay. Thanks! And yes, I'm ready and I plan on getting more females in the near future. So far they all are very happy! I'm keeping a close eye on everyone, making sure no one is stressing out. ☺️

Haha, I already have a place for them to go when they are ready. ☺️Also have an aquarium to grow them in. Quite excited!

Back
Top Bottom