T5 lighting and corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex2123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a question about a acapora and a montipora coral under a t5 system. I never under stood this but I understand the whole watts per gallon thing which isn't reliable but how is it if I have either coral on top of the highest life rock in my tank and only about two bulbs will hit it from a four bulb t5 aquatic life why do I need a six bulb?

two bulbs will still "hit it" but that doesn't mean there is less light hitting it. you should have one T5HO every 3-5 inches of tank width. that beign said on a 12" wide 55g aquarium you'd want to have a 4x54watt T5 light fixture with individual lamp reflectors on a 90g that is 18" wide 6x54watts.

with 1 lamp per 3 inches you can hows monties on the sand bed of a 24" deep aquarium and acros in the mid.

T5HOs are blinding bright dispite what some may think. they over power most MH lighting systems if done right and have a reflector that directs the light into a more focus beam penetrating extremely deep

4 lamp is still alright but yeah a 6 lamp would have been better.

you'll just need to move the SPS higher in the water columb

Back
Top Bottom