T5 questions for 55g freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roundtree

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am still somewhat of a beginner and have a simple hardware question. Can I replace the bulbs in my hoods with t5 bulb? I am using a hood that came with a topfin tank. Thank you for the advice.

check out craigslist for a t5 fixture. i got a coralife 30 inch fixture with two new bulbs (2 months old) for 50 bucks!

Cool. That's what I figured. Thank you both very much.

Are t8 bulbs that much different. This is for a freshwater tank. Does that make a difference? Just seeing what my best budget options are!?! Thanks!

My plant choices are Java moss, Java fern, Hygrophila.

im not to educated in freshwater, especially freshwater plants. i know t5's are way brighter and put out more lumens per watt, and i would imagine they would do better for plants. but i have never had a problems in my simple fish only freshwater tank with a t8 bulb. i had a couple plants, just from petco, but i kept moving around and they didnt make it.

I started with a 24" T8 on my 29 gallon and when I switched to a 30" T5 Normal Output it made a big difference. For low light plants it's not required but it will help them more. It made the tank much brighter and vibrant too.

Back
Top Bottom