T5HO light fixture on glass cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I put my T5HO 2x54w right on the glass cover for the tank rather than raising it on legs? Any reason that's a problem? I'm wondering about the heat?

Can I put my T5HO 2x54w right on the glass cover for the tank rather than raising it on legs? Any reason that's a problem? I'm wondering about the heat?

It would be best to use the legs to prevent heat issues. Too much heat buildup can damage the fixture or bulbs.

Ok thanks. The reason I asked is because the legs didn't fit. Right now it's about 1 inch over it. Is that enough?

Why don't the legs fit?

And inch should be enough to prevent fires/cracking hopefully, but you'll probably still be running really hot. It will decrease the life of the bulbs significantly in addition to limiting output (how bulbs don't work as well).

FWIW I have a 3 bulb t5ho fixture sitting right on top of a dual glass top 55g and it doesn't get abnormally hot from what I've seen. Have been running it like this for 3 or 4 months.

I tried this once and the glass definitely cracked overnight and the fixture got really hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why don't the legs fit?

And inch should be enough to prevent fires/cracking hopefully, but you'll probably still be running really hot. It will decrease the life of the bulbs significantly in addition to limiting output (how bulbs don't work as well).

I got the Odyssea 48" thinking it would fit my 48" tank but it has expendable legs and is actually meant for a longer tank.

I put my hand on the glass after the lights had been on 4 hours and the glass was not at all hot. In fact even the light itself was not that hot so hopefully will be ok?

Back
Top Bottom