T5's I just got for my 125 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Always better safe than sorry in this hobby. I bought glass tops but removed them because I didn't like it. So I'll slap those back on when I get the new fixture. Thanks for your idea, I'll look into it more but that seems like a solid plan.

you can do it without the glass tops. just lay the window screen right on the tank. it's rigid enough that it won't fall in. you can buy rolls of it very cheap.

Hello, I got a question to go with yours, I am confused, a little help please, I have Coralife t5 HO with
4 T5 HO Lamps (German Made Bulbs)
2 10,000k 24 watt
2 actinic blue-light 24watt
2 Lunar Blue LEDs
All four are on, my question : am I to keep all four on at the same time and what are actinic blues? I do have them on a timer the 10k n the actinics, at night I have on the LEDs, are they suppose to be on together? Or not? Thanks

Yes the blues and whites are on together during the day and led's at night. If you can control the blues and whites independently alot of people simulate the sunrise and sunset by having just the blues on in morning for an hour, then blue and white for 8-10 hours then again just the blues in the evening for an hour or 2. The amount of time is up to you I just gave an example. The led's come on at night and don't affect the corals, fish, or anything. They're just so you can see into the tank at night.

sorry to chime in late.... I have a T5 system laying directly on top of my glass top.... no problems! I also didn't like the blinding light shining in my living room! I can't wait to have a canopy some day.... Could you try building a little ledge for the light to sit on inside your canopy? Hopefully you can hang it somehow in there.... that sounds easier! ;)

sorry to chime in late.... I have a T5 system laying directly on top of my glass top.... no problems! I also didn't like the blinding light shining in my living room! I can't wait to have a canopy some day.... Could you try building a little ledge for the light to sit on inside your canopy? Hopefully you can hang it somehow in there.... that sounds easier! ;)

I'm going to give the 'ledge' idea a go after this weekend. I don't think I'll have time to drill and hang the light before X-mas, so I'm going to get two pieces of wood to lay at each end of the light underneath it, to support it. Then I think the canopy will just fit over the fixture.

Yeah the ledge is great. I just put a piece of 1x1 on each side of the canopy. Worked great! Then I got tired of taking the light out of the canopy each time I needed water access.. so I hinged the pieces so they flip up vertically and rest. It's pretty cool.

Ok, so my T5's have been on long enough, all the screens are no longer on top of the tank, and I'm ready to take off the glass canopy lids.

One question, though. My light is about 8" above the tank (on legs). Do you think I would get salt creep on my T5 fixture at that height? I really don't want salt creep in this light fixture (like I've had on my other light fixtures in the past).

Yes, I have a powerhead agitating the surface. Bah- I'd really like to have the glass lids off, but I really don't want to have the salt creep again on my lights. Too bad...lids are staying on.

A powerhead agitating the surface shouldn't be a problem. Both if my powerheads agitate the surface and I have no lids or problems with salt creep.

I always have salt creep on mine, it's at least 8" off the surface and I hardly have any surface agitation. I think it comes with the territory

Too bad I'll need to leave my lids on because they get salty and somewhat non-transparent pretty quickly. I'll clean them, but the next day they'll get dirty again.

I know this has to negatively affect my corals...

Back
Top Bottom