T5VHO Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPhazeWun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well while starting my aquarium about a 7 months ago, I made a decision to get T5VHO, because at the moment I wanted a discus planted aquarium. After receiving the light fixture, I made a decision to go with an African Cichlid aquarium. No problem I thought, except I really can't leave the lights on a daily cycle (on around 6-8 hours a day), because it causes algae to grow. Now the bulbs are 6.5K rated bulbs, so I know they promote plant growth, and with no plants I'm sure this causes the algae growth. My question is: are any T5 bulbs that DON'T promote plant growth, but will be bright enough to look nice? If not I might have to go back to the original lighting or consider other fixture.

Thanks in advance

No need to change the fixture. All you have to do is change the bulbs to something more suited to you need that is less than 6500K. There are a lot of different options for you. Look for a good color enhancing bulb. You don't even have to pay pet store pricing. Both lowe's and home depot have a good selection to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom