Table as stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Pretty sure I know the answer but asking anyway
Have been offered a 100g tank in trade for some of my smaller ones but the only thing I have long enough for it is an old (10 years?)coffee table which I dont think it will take the weight as it is and don't see how I could beef it up
Sending 2 pics so you get the general idea of the build - 22" W approx 60-72L (in storage so can't access it for a complete length measurement)
Corner posts/columns are solid wood not just the hollow plastic ones you find on the tables today.
Top & bottom are 4 bonded 1x6s(?)with decorative edging
Middle cabinet looks to also be built of 1x4s or 6s

20180205_192146.jpg
20180205_192206.jpg
20180205_185735.jpg

I would suggest, due to the size of this tank, to get an aquarium made stand. Most furniture is not designed to handle that kind of weight. You are looking at over 1000 lbs when filled for a 100 gal tank. Do you really want to chance that?
If the wood look is what you want, I did a facade on my tank. I had a 75 on a metal stand and the wood facade around that. Made it easier to have the filtering under the tank and hidden as well. Also, because I didn't need to build for support, it was fairly inexpensive to build. (y)

These old tables are built very strong if built right. They last for years if took care of. But to put a 100gallon tank on it. I would at least reinforce it if you really wanted to take the chance. Specially the middle and the legs. The top is a nice strong base. If it's oak or walnut I'd use it, but still reinforce a few things. Oak and walnut are very hard wood. You'll know if it's heavy, then it's harder wood. I've seen alot worse for a 100g tank stand. See one made out of 2X4's and plywood before. Couldn't tell ya how long that lasted them but, it's your choice. If it was me, and I know how those kinda tables are built, I'd probably use it and just reinforce the middle with a few 4X4's. But make sure on the bottom there's no gap underneath. If there's trim along the edge I'd remove it and make it flush so the bottom boards sit flush to the floor. Just make it stronger than what it already is. If you can lift it up by yourself then I wouldn't use it.

I wouldn't stick anything over a 50 gallon tank on your average table.
I wouldn't put anything over 20gal, but this one is clearly not an average one.
with that I'm not sure if I would use it, hard to say anything about it's structural integrity just from pictures.

Thanks agrasyuk I will post better pics of the table once I drag it out of my storage room before I rebuild just wanted to get a sense of whether digging it out was going to be worth the effort. Not having any structural expertise at all when it comes to tank stands (other than a gallon of water is approx 9lbs☺) I figured I'd ask people who might

Back
Top Bottom