Tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigHoss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting to get this brown residue on my plastic plants in my aquarium. Should I take them out and clean them? What about the other stuff (rocks, caves, signs, etc..)? Can't really see it on them but if it's on the plants I'm sure it's on everything. I wanted to ask first in case that would mess up the bacteria or anything.

Thanks

So if it is brown alge how do you stop it and what causes it?

I will post a pic soon

Thanks for responding

Here's the pics

Attachments

• image-265294845.jpg
    image-265294845.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1174706961.jpg
    image-1174706961.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 96
I agree with mfdrookie516, diatoms. I had them a while back, and I just started feeding less, reduced the time the light was on, and cleaned the tank more, and it went away.

I agree, it's diatoms. They're a nusiance, but after a while it'll go away. That being said, mine didn't go away for four months on the heater until I left the thing in uncholorinated tap water for a day.

Diatoms (golden-brown algae, rather than a brown algae) are common in both fresh and saltwater tanks, especially when they are new. However, they are almost constantly present, so even an older, well-established tank can experience a diatom bloom. As was stated, in most cases they go away on their own, however tap water high in silica may cause them to rebloom or may extend bloom length. Once you have an established tank, removing plastic plants and deco to clean the diatoms off will cause no issues. If you're running a HOB filter than doing so during the cycle will also cause no issues.

Back
Top Bottom