Tank Completed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I'm finished with my first 35l tank now as I'm fully stocked, or overstocked should I say :rolleyes:

Fish
6 Zebra Danio
5 Guppy
5 Neon Tetra
3 White Molly
3 Checkerboard Dwarf Cichlid
1 Bristle Nose Plec

Inverts
5 Amano Shrimp
2 Assassin Snails

Plants
2 Moss Balls
Hygrophilia Difformis
Vallisneria Spiralis
Vallisneria Americana
Micranthemum umbrosum
Hygrophila Corymbosa

Water
Ammonia is 0.05
Nitrites is 0
Nirates is either 10 or 20, its hard to tell on the API test kit.

Maintenance
Weekly NH4, NO2, and NO3 testing.
Up to 2 weekly water changes of 20-30%.
Weekly gravel vac.
Monthly glass cleaning.
API StressCoat & API StressZyme with water changes.
Filter has coarse foam washed monthly. Polishing pad replaced monthly. Filter is also ram-packed with bio-media.

Will have API AmmoLock & Tetra Nitrate Minus on hand for backup incase water readings go mad.

IMG_00285B15D.JPG

How did you cycle this aquarium? Curious as to why you're showing ammonia. How did you determine .05, anyway? Doesn't the API card start at .25ppm?

Also, in my opinion, that's too many fish for 10 gallons (35l?). That pleco needs at least 30 gallons as well.

Yes, you are indeed overstocked my friend. Maybe that is why your test kit is showing ammonia (I am also curious to how you got the reading of .05 . Did you determine that it was in-between 0-.25?)

Your tank looks great though! Good job! I would just recommend getting rid of a lot of the fish you have ;)

Yes, you are indeed overstocked my friend. Maybe that is why your test kit is showing ammonia (I am also curious to how you got the reading of .05 . Did you determine that it was in-between 0-.25?)

Your tank looks great though! Good job! I would just recommend getting rid of a lot of the fish you have ;)

Or how about just adding a bigger tank? ;)

The API master test kit is a very wide range kit which I don't find accurate. I also use the JBL (German) test kit which measures ammonia down to 0.05, and nitrites down to 0.01, its by far the best testing kit on the market. You get what you pay for.

Regarding the Pleco, I'll have a bigger tank long before the pleco get big.

F4A said:
The API master test kit is a very wide range kit which I don't find accurate. I also use the JBL (German) test kit which measures ammonia down to 0.05, and nitrites down to 0.01, its by far the best testing kit on the market. You get what you pay for.

Regarding the Pleco, I'll have a bigger tank long before the pleco get big.

You'd still be overstocked. Even with the pleco gone! The zebra danios aren't gonna have enough space anyway, and they'll probably jump unless moved.

Why would my danios jump?

My LFS keeps large 12 inch plecos in a 10G tank, I think thats far most harse.

F4A said:

Danios are very notorious jumpers. They are one of the fish that will jump if there's a space for them to get out.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

LFS':
1) Do things wrong and typically set a bad example. And lie.
2) Keep big fish, and many of them, in small tanks because they're anticipating a quick sale.

Just because the LFS does it wrong doesn't mean everyone should. These people (here at AA) are giving you good advice. We have no reason to lie to you.

Nice tank man!!! Keep it up!!!... I too have a 10g!... You have all small fishes only. So in my opinion i think so you are not TOO overstocked.

Nice tank man!!! Keep it up!!!... I too have a 10g!... You have all small fishes only. So in my opinion i think so you are not TOO overstocked.

It doesn't matter if the fish are small...the tank is TINY! He has 22 fish PLUS a plec, PLUS snails, PLUS shrimp in a 10gal. He has enough fish to fully stock two 10 gals, IMO. If he had perfect water parameters, that would be one thing, but he doesn't. Unless he's doing frequent PWCs, he will continue to have water issues...and yes, that would be because he's overstocked.

Agree, this tank is overstocked, and like Jen said, don't compare your tank versus the lfs,

Your tank was created for the enjoyment and to create a good environment in the long term for your fish.
The lfs tank is a short term, temporary house for the fish, that they expect to move out and sale soon.

My LFS keeps large 12 inch plecos in a 10G tank, I think thats far most harse.

Your LFS keeps them there to make a sale. They won't be spending the rest of their lives there. My LFS' do the right thing and put fish such as cichlids in larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom