Tank cycle is complete!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindsaylaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well patience paid off! The tank is finally ready. Ammonia and nitrite are both zero. Nitrates are <5. I did a 25% PWC.
I picked up a pair of true percs and a cleaner shrimp today. Everyone seems to be exploring the tank.
How often should I test the water?

You should test every 3-4 days to make sure there is no ammonia spike. Then weekly after the 1st month.

I tested today (day 4 after adding fish) and the ammonia is bet 0 and 0.1. The algae (green, like grass) is really taking over.
What level of ammonia should I be concerned with?
Should I worry about the algae?
How long should I wait before adding another fish. My LFS is keeping a flame angel for me. He is in his own (small) tank - is this sufficient quarantine?
Thanks to everyone for your generous guidance.

Ammonia needs to be at 0. Read this for the algea. I would wait and make sure ammonia and nitrite is at 0 before adding any more fish.

I agree, when you add too many fish your bacteria will adjust to your larger bioload.

Even if the fish was in its own holding cell at the LFS, I would still quarantine it when I brought it home. Those single cells at the LFS typically have water flowing through them from their entire system. However, if you do see the fish every couple days in its cell and it continues to look good for a month, I think that is way better than no QT at all.
I would wait a couple more weeks before adding another fish in order to give your good bacteria time to catch up with what fish you have in there already. Especially if you are reading between 0 and .1 you really need to be at a solid 0. This next thing I'm going to type is not recommended but it does work.... if you do add the other fish before a couple weeks then when you add the fish you should also add a bottle of bacteria in a bottle. There are a few brands of this but the brand I have used is called SuperBac and it does help.

Back
Top Bottom