Tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I know what to do to get my tank to cycle and what to look for when it's over as I'm on my 3rd tank now.. My question is: what is exactly happening in the tank? I know my amm, nitrite spike and then level out at 0 .. But what is making this happen!? And why does it take weeks?

Bacteria build in your tank which start breaking down your ammonia source usually the rotting of your shrimp and turn it from ammonia to nitrite and then ba retina build to turn that into nitrate and then in live rock bacteria can turn the nitrate into nitrogen gas to complete the cycle as the gas will then rise out of your tank in the form of a bubble from the rock or sand. The nitrate will not all break down though usually which is why we do water changes to remove it and add water without nitrate in it. Hope that makes sense

Bacteria build in your tank which start breaking down your ammonia source usually the rotting of your shrimp and turn it from ammonia to nitrite and then ba retina build to turn that into nitrate and then in live rock bacteria can turn the nitrate into nitrogen gas to complete the cycle as the gas will then rise out of your tank in the form of a bubble from the rock or sand. The nitrate will not all break down though usually which is why we do water changes to remove it and add water without nitrate in it. Hope that makes sense

That was exactly what I was looking for !! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom